Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5167 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 13
11 November 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Whoa, I wish I'd heard of this earlier; I could have contributed to the project...
1 person has voted this message useful

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5419 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 13
11 November 2010 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I almost didn't contribute myself, but Claude let me get my entry in at the last minute. I'll be devoting a post to this book on the blog on Saturday. To save people having to sign up for that site I'll host the PDF on my server as a direct download. I've also worked to convert it to ePUB and MOBI so people can read it on mobile devices easier.

To be honest I would have appreciated a wider scope of contributors since LingQ users seem to be the vast majority. A search for LingQ comes up over 70 times versus "immersion" coming up 7 times.

Having said that Claude did a great job of collecting the entries he did and even though I strongly disagree with some advice in the book and find some entries to be way too long and irrelevant, I think most of it makes for a pretty interesting read!
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5346 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 11 of 13
12 November 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
You're letting that LingQ thng get to you. There are only 5 or 6 contributors who mention it, it's just that they repeat it an awful lot! It's a good idea making the download available, as the current site is a bit irritating.

My favourite bit was by Glossika, because I've never found much background info on him before, and what he reveals does kind of explain why he ended up being so good at languages, and I kind of empathised with his screwed up childhood and stateless detachment (not that my childhood was anywhere near as screwed, which is a shame as I'm sure I would have been a great polyglot if it had been).

Huliganov was also interesting, but not for linguistic reasons, just the fact that he is quite clearly a bit wierd (nothing wrong with that - many language learners seem to be).

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5084 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 12 of 13
12 November 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
wierd (nothing wrong with that...).
nice try ...

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5419 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 13 of 13
13 November 2010 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
OK, I've posted my little introduction to the book. If you scroll down there are DIRECT links to download the PDF, ePub & mobi files. No sign-ups necessary:

http://www.fluentin3months.com/polyglot-project/

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version