Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6898 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 1 of 1
26 May 2010 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I was browsing another forum yesterday and came across a post that mentioned that the Destinos streaming video is now available with closed captions. You can choose to turn them on after choosing an episode to watch. However, these CC files like the videos themselves are also downloadable and can be used off-line.

The URLs are as follows:

http://www.scctv.net/annenberg/smi/destinos_01.smi

Use a batch downloader to get them all from "01" to "52". Put the SAMI file in the same directory as the equivalent video files. E.g. "destinos_01.smi" goes with "Destinos_01.wmv".

If you're using Windows Media Player, you will probably have to change its security settings to enable the loading of local caption files. See the link below for details for the various versions of WMP:

How to turn captions on for Windows Media Player

I had hoped that the same was also available for French In Action but although the FAQ shows a screenshot of this, they do not appear to be available on the streaming video and I haven't been able to find them by guessing the URL.

Andy.

Edit: I should have also said that SAMI files are supported by other players as well. The SAMI Wikipedia page has a list. I tried it with MPlayer for the Nintendo DS last night and other than having to play around with the delay setting, it worked a treat.

Edited by Andy E on 26 May 2010 at 9:44am

6 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version