Diglot
United States
Joined 6205 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 17 of 50
31 May 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Just a note regarding AnkiSRS's rather barebones feel: I'm one of the beta testers, and the beta version that the developer is working on is already much, much better than the 1.0 version on the App Store. He actually submitted the latest revisions to Apple a day or two ago, so they should be up soon.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6101 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 18 of 50
18 June 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
The app TVUPlayer iPad edition lets you watch various TV channels from around the world.
I haven't tried it yet but it seems quite interesting.
1 person has voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5352 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 19 of 50
18 June 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
there is/was a tvu app for the iphone. The dekstop software is great but the iphone app
was pretty awful. Not many channels, not very good streams either

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 20 of 50
28 June 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
RumTel is AWESOME! Unlike CCTV's crummy app (or crummy servers?) which can take 3 minutes
to cache a 30 second news clip, with RumTel on some of the Chinese channels I can just
stream -- no skipping, no long wait for caching. So now I'm literally empowered to watch
Chinese TV on a moment's notice anywhere =) LISTENING BOOST++

novemberain
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5603 days ago

59 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 21 of 50
28 June 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
Smart.fm has iPhone app which is quite useful, however, I expect their drill application on their website running on
the iPad to be even more useful. Looking forward to putting my hands on the iPad, that form factor is exactly what I
wanted all along for language learning.

ChrisWebb
United Kingdom
Joined 6022 days ago

181 posts - 190 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 22 of 50
13 July 2010 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
iSRS deserves a mention here, it's basically Mnemosyne on iPhone and the current release is pretty much complete. I picked up both this and AnkiSRS and at this point I prefer iSRS to AnkiSRS. If you like Mnemosyne I think iSRS is for you, it's a lot cheaper than AnkiSRS and has the simplicity that makes Mnemosyne so nice to use.

That said AnkiSRS is looking to add a lot of what I personally think it's badly missing over it's next 2 releases so if you prefer Anki it might be that AnkiSRS ends up better in the long term.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 23 of 50
14 July 2010 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
I've been thinking about getting the iPad for my Japanese studies, but I'm still not convinced it would do all I want it to. I can't help thinking I'm better off waiting for one of the upcoming Win7 tablets on the way.

First and foremost, I need to take handwritten notes and it has to work smoothly. I know there are lots of apps for that, but just how effective is it to take Japanese notes compared to simply using paper? If it worked well, the advantage would be to have all notes available all the time for easy and quick review.

Over 3G, the Tangorin dictionary would be available at all times. Sweeeet.

parasitius
Diglot
United States
Joined 5757 days ago

220 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Cantonese, Polish, Spanish, French

Message 24 of 50
14 July 2010 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I've been thinking about getting the iPad for my Japanese studies, but I'm still not convinced it would do all I want it to. I can't help thinking I'm better off waiting for one of the upcoming Win7 tablets on the way.

Why anyone would even dream of considering a platform which won't allow pop-up dictionaries, or for example simultaneously playing an audio clip and viewing text / taking notes / accessing a dictionary, is beyond me. (All of which comes down to multi-tasking and sometimes pen/keyboard input.) I think the iPhone especially (I have one), and iPad to a lesser extent, if you don't have a external keyboard, are devices meant exclusively for the consumption of content. They're incompatible with efficiently producing content -- of which studying, imho, is one type (because you take notes or work with material which requires more work to understand than just hitting the play button). Every time I go back to doing things on my 2005 Dell Axim Windows Mobile device I'm reminded how infinitely easier it is to use for language study or content creation.

Time spent on an iPhone to read one paragraph of foreign language text, look up 2 words in the dictionary, and then paste 1 key sentence into an SRS along with dictionary definition, for later study: probably 3-5 minutes. On my 2005 Axim? About 45 seconds. Languages an aspiring polyglot loses out on getting to learn within his lifetime for doing things 5x less efficiently? A lot!

Edited by parasitius on 14 July 2010 at 11:45pm

This discussion contains 50 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version