Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
adhoc
United States
Joined 5105 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 21
26 May 2010 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
What was the most difficult part of learning English being a non-native speaker?
1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5144 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 2 of 21
26 May 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
The only part I would call difficult was the -th sound. It took me a while and a lot of practice to get that one down. Words like birthday, through and truth were a real pain but now that I've mastered the sound words that use it are among my favourites. For some reason, I also had trouble with the words comfortable and under (and by extension 'understand' as well) and I still don't like saying them.

Apart from this, the spelling needs some getting used to but I wouldn't call it difficult. It only annoys me when I come across a new word and I have no idea how to pronounce it while I know the spelling or vice versa.

EDIT: I just noticed this was your first post. Welcome to the forum!

Edited by ReneeMona on 26 May 2010 at 6:50pm

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5119 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 21
26 May 2010 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Still the most difficult part is the spelling. There are some words and sounds where I always make mistakes (like
choosing between s/c or s/z or wh/w). I've noticed that I have some kind of visual memory for these though as I
can often tell that I've written incorrectly because the word looks wrong. It still doesn't mean that I would know
what the right form would be nor that I would find it through trial and error.

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5262 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 21
26 May 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
The answer probably depends on the native language of the learner.

I would say that spelling and pronunciation are equally difficult. Hardly any Scandinavian makes the correct
distinction between the unvoiced /s/ and the voiced /z/ when speaking.

It's also difficult to master prepositions and idioms. Sometimes it's difficult to know if the verb should be singular
or plural.

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5149 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 5 of 21
26 May 2010 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
The number of tenses - present simple, present perfect, present continuous, present perfect continuous, past simple, past continuous, past perfect, past perfect continuous, present tenses for the future, future tenses.

In Slavic languages we do have a couple of tenses, but we usualy use just one for the past, one for the present and one for the future. Something simply WAS, something IS and something WILL BE. And if you want to know precisely what happened first and what second, there are other words or the CONTEXT which will tell you.

;)

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6752 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 6 of 21
26 May 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
adhoc wrote:
What was the most difficult part of learning English being a non-native speaker?

Vocabulary. I am not trying to be funny, it's among the biggest jobs with any language.

I am not sure about the grammar. I learned the fundamentals of it in school, so I don't know what parts of it would've been hard when learning English on my own, with one exception. As a native speaker of a language without articles, I never fully got the hang of them and probably never will, unless I can find a few dozen (or hundreds) of pages of article drills for those with this Slavic handicap, assuming it is a curable disease.

I never tried to work on the pronunciation, so I don't know what might have been possible. It didn't happen on its own, I still speak with a heavy Russian accent after many years of living in the US.

Edited by frenkeld on 26 May 2010 at 10:40pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5888 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 21
27 May 2010 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
I remember constantly drilling the verb differences depending on who's "performing" the verb (I'm not great on grammatical terms) in primary school. Not fun.

I am
You are
He/she/it is
We are
You are
They are
x1000000

That rhyme still pops up in my head every time I think of primary school English. We don't have changing verbs like that in Norwegian:

Jeg er
Du er
Hun/han/det er
Vi er
Dere er
De er

Currently, I tend to over-use the word "much" too much (hehehe), "there's much people here" etc. I also sometimes stumble with the difference between "who" and "which", although I blatantly know the difference there.

Edited by mrhenrik on 27 May 2010 at 12:30am

chucknorrisman
Triglot
United States
Joined 5257 days ago

321 posts - 435 votes 
Speaks: Korean*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Lithuanian, French

Message 8 of 21
27 May 2010 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
Pronunciation - the "r" sound of English was difficult for me at first, as I didn't quite know how it worked.
Grammar - I didn't find it too hard, except for the numerous exceptions. The mastery of those, however, came with time.
Vocabulary - Not too hard, but the idiomatic expressions and the very irregular spellings were hard to learn. I especially struggled with the fact that English, when loaning words, takes other languages' Latin alphabet spellings as they are natively written instead of changing them to fit the English pronunciation. For example, why Czech Republic and not Check Republic?

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version