Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
adhoc
United States
Joined 5110 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes

Message 1 of 7
30 May 2010 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
Hello all,

As you can see, I'm fairly new here. I'm an amateur linguist, I've studied German,
French, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Latin, and Ancient Greek. But now I need to learn to
speak German and French, and I'm not quite sure how.

Currently, I'm in uni learning German and French and of course I'm taking courses in
them. I've had several years of each in high school. It's summer now and I've been
reading some books in both languages and also watching movies.

What I'm getting at is that I don't feel like I'm doing enough though. Can anyone offer
some suggestions as to what I should change or what else I should be doing? Time is no
issue and I don't want to spend a lot of money. I feel that I need to work on vocab in
both languages (tips and tricks for learning genders of nouns = bonus points) as well
as grammar (mostly in German).
1 person has voted this message useful

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5159 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 2 of 7
30 May 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Herzlich Wilkommen!

So really I can't tell you much to help with nouns other than -chen means its neuter(das). I don't know, but I feel that it just sticks and you can just tell that they don't sound right. At least that's how it is for me. A good thing to do is always remember nouns with their genders. die Sonne, das Bad, der Mannschaft usw.

As for watching more things I always watch shows on Deutsche Welle. Shows such as Global 3000 and Made in Germany are really cool and they can increase your vocabulary. I can't really help you with french since I don't know it.    

Viel Glück!

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6517 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 7
30 May 2010 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
You should get accostumed to memorize nouns with an article attached (definite or indefinite) as if it was part of the noun itself, - or at least do this with feminines and neutra (the masculine gender is the most common one, so it is enough to learn the exceptions)

Edited by Iversen on 30 May 2010 at 11:29am

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6154 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 4 of 7
30 May 2010 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I strongly agree with Iversen's suggestion above.

For a good source of German vocab I have found Basic German Vocabulary by Langenscheidt or Mastering German Vocabulary by Barron's a good place to start. You might also check out the Fokus Deutsch series or the Slow German podcast if you want to get away from books.

-Robert

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6260 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 5 of 7
30 May 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
If you decide to get one of the books that Robert mentioned, I recommend that you go with Langenscheidt's Basic German Vocabulary and not Mastering German Vocabulary. They both are good to help you get the essential vocabulary under your belt, but the latter book, for some reason far beyond me, doesn't include the plurals of nouns. There are enough ways to form the plural in German that, at least when starting out, it's worth memorizing the plurals outright.

As for learning nouns gender, I've found that it's easier to just memorize them as you go along rather than look for any tricks. There are some very obvious gender markers - like all German nouns ending in -heit / -keit are feminine - but I find it's easier to just learn the gender than carry around 25 rules in my head that might help me figure out the gender.

Edited by josht on 30 May 2010 at 6:46pm

Rob Harris
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5082 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes

Message 6 of 7
23 June 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Hello all!

There are certain endings that give a clue. For example, words derived from verbs ending in -ung are generally feminine. Words created from adjectives (like gesund) ending in -heit or -keit are usually feminine (like Gesundheit). Nouns the same as verb infinitves are neuter (das Schwimmen). Nouns describing people ending in -er are almost always masculine (for example, Holzfäller, lumberjack is masculine)

There are actually quite a lot of rules like this. If you have a look in your library for a German grammar, the first or second chapter will be filled with them.

There are other, much less reliable clues. For example, words ending in -e are often feminine (like Blume, flower, but not always, there's a large class of words, like Junge (boy) and Beamte (civil servant) that are masculine). Words ending in -en but not derived from verbs are often masculine. Words derived from verbs which end in -t are often feminine (like Sucht from suchen, Sicht from sehen, Macht from machen). Nouns that are formed from chopping off the -en from a verb infinitive are often masculine (der Blick, from blicken). But these rules are really not something you want to count on.

josht wrote:
There are some very obvious gender markers - like all German nouns ending in -heit / -keit are feminine - but I find it's easier to just learn the gender than carry around 25 rules in my head that might help me figure out the gender.

After you learn a few dozen words and you have some knowledge of the rules, the rules become second nature.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 7 of 7
23 June 2010 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
I'd say find an advanced course (Assimil or whatever) and try that.
Also read this forum, even old posts, there's so much information here it's amazing.

Good luck

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version