psy88
United States
Joined 5378 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 9 of 12
04 June 2010 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
alang wrote:

Well, not only would it be redundant. See it and Say it in Spanish does not even come close to what information Magic Key covers. IMO it is just a quick introduction to the tourist with more illustrations for vocabulary. A getting your feet wet type of book. I do have both books and would not buy anymore See it and Say it in X language, in place of the Magic Key books.

I agree. I too have used both books. Magic Key is far superior-it is more of a textbook, the other is more of a vocabulary,phrase book. Having said that, I liked it as a quick review book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5456 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 12
23 February 2012 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
When this thread first came out, I bought the Magic Key to Spanish and was very pleased with it.

This week I also picked up scanned copies of the Magic Key books for French and German. They look to be just as good as the Spanish course. It is a great pity these two books are out of print, since they are well worth owning. I have seen used copies for sale for around $200 each (!) which tells you something.
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4809 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 12
23 February 2012 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
I agree. I really wish I had found this book earlier on in my Spanish learning journey. I thnk it is particulary helpful if you are intimidated by, or have no background in grammar.

It makes everything seem so simple, and for that reason I cant recomend it highly enough. If you are starting to study Spanish I really dont think theres many resources out there quite as useful as this.

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5380 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 12 of 12
24 February 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I have been using the french book. I have found it to be fantastic. There are 49 lessons. I am on lesson
30 and the main benefit so far would have to be learning verb conjugations so easily. A flick through the
book shows that it is going to deal with things like the subjunctive in a similarly easy manner. As
mentioned earlier in the thread, the method, particularly the explanations between the exercises greatly
resembles Michel Thomas' method (or vice versa). In fact, I am using both methods together and making
rapid progress.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version