Tags: Fluenz | Spanish
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
satanspawn
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

2 posts - 3 votes

Message 1 of 4
04 June 2010 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
I have 4 years high school Spanish and a year or so in college. Not real confident in my abilities.

I have the FSI Programmatic and Basic courses, but they are quite dry. Looking at Fluenz Spanish 1-5 as it looks
much more interesting, but I'm just curious how useful it will really be. They only have samples for from the very
beginning of level one, which is very basic. I'm really interested in achieving fluency at least on some level as I am
getting married in December to a Colombian in Colombia.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5398 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 2 of 4
07 June 2010 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
The FSI will bring you MUCH MUCH further than Fluenz to be honest (and blunt)

If you can get through FSI, you'll definitely be at a good level. Supplement it with native materials like reading and the radio, and you'll be well on your way. Since you are marrying a native (congrats!) speaking with him/her will really boost your level quickly.

Best of luck to you!
Jordan

sdevante
United Kingdom
Joined 5102 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 4
07 June 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the follow up. I have since found Platiquemos' version of FSI and it is much more manageable format for the iPad, so I think this will work nicely.

Also, I was comparing what is included in Platiquemos versus Fluenz, and it appears that a fair number of tenses are overlooked in Fluenz, unless I am missing something.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5398 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 4 of 4
08 June 2010 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
Fluentz does skip quite a lot of material in my opinion.

FSI/Platiquemos (which is one of the BEST programs available) is very very good, I can't say it enough.

Go into it with a positive attitude, and enjoy the language, don't make it a drill or a chore. You'll see results much faster. Of course, ask your spouse questions! :D Answers from a native are priceless!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version