Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 17 of 73
08 June 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Strictly speaking it is a verbal noun. Their function in a sentence is different and so one cannot be substituted for the other. Example:

La populación de América por parte de los europeos trajo graves consecuencias para la población indígena.

Replace población with populación and vice versa, and the result is nonsense. Hence the danger of simply forcing one language into another.

Juan,

Thanks for the info. While I can see para la populación indígena is a nonsense, I would have assumed that La población de América would have been ok as one of its meanings according to the RAE is:

población.

(Del lat. populatĭo, -ōnis).

1. f. Acción y efecto de poblar.

Not that I have many conversations about the "populating" of continents but one to tuck away nonetheless :-)

Andy.

1 person has voted this message useful

XGargoyle
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5737 days ago

42 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*, EnglishB2
Studies: GermanA2, Japanese, Russian

Message 18 of 73
08 June 2010 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
According to RAE, both "populación" and "población" are synonyms, being the former only applicable to the act of "populating" whereas the latter has a broader definition, including "town", "population" and "dwellers".

So, in the example above, "La populación de América" and "La población de América" are both correct, however, the true meaning of "población" must be inferred from the context

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 20 of 73
08 June 2010 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Andy E wrote:
Thanks for the info. While I can see para la populación indígena is a nonsense, I would have assumed that La población de América would have been ok

When you replace one with the other the meaning changes, hence you cannot carelessly substitute one for the other in a given sentence without changing the meaning; in a separate sentence, with different meaning, one can indeed talk of populación indígena and población de América.

Populación indígena would mean the act of populating performed by indigenous people, and población de América the people who live in that continent, whereas in my example sentence we were talking about the indigenous population and the act of populating done by Europeans.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 21 of 73
08 June 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
When you replace one with the other the meaning changes, hence you cannot carelessly substitute one for the other in a given sentence without changing the meaning; in a separate sentence, with different meaning, one can indeed talk of populación indígena and población de América.

Populación indígena would mean the act of populating performed by indigenous people, and población de América the people who live in that continent, whereas in my example sentence we were talking about the indigenous population and the act of populating done by Europeans.

Yes. I was quite aware of the suggested difference in meaning and so I wasn't talking about a "separate sentence with a different meaning" but the exact one you quoted.

The issue I'm trying to understand is that the RAE provides both populación and población with a definition for the "act of populating". What you see as "careless substitution", I'm currently seeing as "synonym" (as apparently is XGargoyle) - hence my very first post on this thread.

Is this a regional difference?

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 22 of 73
08 June 2010 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
I would never use them interchangeably, as to me it would be imprecise and sloppy. But language is supple.

Also, the RAE online dictionary doesn't give población as a synonym for populación.

The María Moliner dictionary however, which is more colloquial, does.

Edited by Juаn on 08 June 2010 at 7:17pm

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 23 of 73
08 June 2010 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
I would never use them interchangeably, as to me it would be imprecise and sloppy.

Indeed, one reason why I'm harping on about this. I'd prefer to be correct so as not to sound "off"

Quote:
Also, the RAE online dictionary doesn't give población as a synonym for populación.

Yes, that was why I was careful to say definition in my last post.

populación.

1. f. p. us. Acción y efecto de poblar.

población.

1. f. Acción y efecto de poblar.

The sole difference is that populación is marked as poco usado which I why I wanted to know whether población is a more common synonym.

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 

Message 24 of 73
08 June 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Everyday speakers no hilan tan fino anyway, so unless you're writing literature, fret not; just use población, as the other one is more recondite.

Edited by Juаn on 08 June 2010 at 10:31pm

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version