Joined 6221 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 57 of 73
14 July 2010 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
kidshomestunner wrote:
Volte wrote:

Italian and Spanish genders are easier than French (or German) ones, as the last letter of nouns usually gives you a clue as to which gender it is. French and German have guidelines too, but they're more complex.

But certain nouns differ in gender... Radio is masculine or feminine depending on where the Spanish speaker is from....

Spanish words ending in ma which come from classical Greek roots are masculine...

la flor is feminine

alerta, cometa, dia, insectida, manana, mapa, mediodia, planeta, tranvia, vodka, yoga, and others which end in a are masculine.

some nouns have different meanings depending on gender... capital colera coma cometa corte cura frente and papa.

Feminine and masculine with papa makes the difference between a potato and a pope in Latin America...

Spanish noun gender is quite difficult.

Which part of "usually gives a clue" should be read as "is absolutely without exceptions"?

Spanish noun gender is not trivially easy, but it is still a lot easier than German or French noun gender.

1 person has voted this message useful

GauchoBoaCepa
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 5201 days ago

172 posts - 199 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 58 of 73
18 July 2010 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
I've never found Spanish easy although my mother language has a noticeable proximity with it...the problem is that as time goes by studying Spanish gets harder and harder....if you decide to try to pick up the regional expressions and slangs...wow...it worsens.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6150 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: German

Message 59 of 73
16 August 2010 at 6:06am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
I surmise many of those who regard Spanish as "easy" never reach a very high level in it and derive their impression from the ease with which a very basic, rough and coarse communicative level can be attained, not from what it entails as a means of high expression.

Spanish is definitely easier than German: no cases (other than the direct-object and indirect-object pronouns), gender is usually known by the ending, the definite/indefinite articles are easy to remember (un, una, el, los, la, las)[1], word order is fairly regular[2], plurals are also fairly regular[3], etc. Both languages have the subjunctive mood and imperfect tense. Spanish verbs are a nightmare, though. There are three conjugations, with some dissimilar rules between conjugations (especially in the stem-changing verbs), which is much harder than even German, which is fairly easy if you can get past the subjunctive, the imperfect, and the lack of a preterit. I believe it's really not that difficult, but requires more time and energy than most people can give (but that really goes for all languages).

[1] Compare German ein, eine, eines, einem, einen, einer; der, die, das, des, dem, den. (I hope I didn't miss any :)
[2] German is usually SVO, but VSO in a preceding subordinate clause and SOV in a following subordinate clause.
[3] Compare Haus => Häuser (house => houses), but Maus => Mäuse (mouse => mice).

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6150 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 60 of 73
16 August 2010 at 6:27am | IP Logged 
XGargoyle wrote:
nor the word agglutination in languages such as Finnish or Esperanto (wait, people says Esperanto is an easy language, how? I sincerely doubt it after reading "figebovetarejo" means "Yard of herds of cows and bulls that are small and disgusting"),

Are you honestly claiming that Spanish is easier than Esperanto? In Esperanto, there are no irregular verbs; nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs logically derive from each other; and the agglutination helps immensely. You use -em to mean an inclination, -ec to mean a state, etc., and you don't have to struggle with memorizing derivative forms that can't be guessed. In fact, I was recently struggling with my Facebook profile, as I wanted to try to translate my Esperanto profile into German and Spanish (both are so full of exceptions that it's hard for me to remember), and I came across a problem translating meminstruiteco to either.

"figebovetarejo" - meh, in this case, I wouldn't interpret it as a yard; more of an overcrowded, unclean structure. Of course, unlike German, combining more than five nonterminal morphemes is extremely rare in Esperanto.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6150 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 61 of 73
16 August 2010 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
crafedog wrote:
Honestly I felt the same way about Spanish when I got up to an upper-intermediate level I felt like I was hitting a brick wall. It seems like old English to me at times ("To whom do you speak?").

It's hardly surprising that Latin required that a preposition's object come after the preposition, but that's not true in the Germanic languages. Because of the influence of Latin on English, ending a sentence with a preposition is considered by some to be an error, but it's very common in colloquial English. "To whom do you speak" is formal in English and nowhere near Old English. It's definitely Late Modern English. Even Early Modern English would be something like "To whom dost thou speak?". Old English was a Low German dialect, so before the influence of Latin, one would assume that it would have a Germanic grammar.
2 persons have voted this message useful

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6150 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 62 of 73
16 August 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
from the windmills of Cervantes to Borges' dreams.

It's funny that you should mention Borges. I just ran across this article today:
http://gxirafo.blogspot.com/2010/08/borges-en-ido.html

I really have no idea who it is. I know, illiterate me.

zooplah
Diglot
United States
zooplah.farvista.net
Joined 6150 days ago

100 posts - 116 votes 

Message 63 of 73
16 August 2010 at 6:51am | IP Logged 
daveyboy wrote:

I would say the hardest part of learning Spanish is the listening comprehension, when
you talk / listen to the natives, It's very hard to understand what they are saying,
especially the everyday people on the street. I think once you have mastered that then
your well and truly near fluent.

LOL, I don't think I'll ever get to that level, even in Esperanto. The funny thing is that when I see a transcript of an Esperanto speech, I can follow along, but just listening, I probably miss about half the words.

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5129 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 64 of 73
16 August 2010 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
I'd been looking for this topic! First found it a few weeks ago but then it seemed to disappear.

I completely agree with this thread. I first started learning Spanish in Peru in 2007 and quickly (within 2-3 months) could converse easily with my colleagues. A few months later I was able to work totally in Spanish. But I never had to write/type anything, so I spoke fast to avoid anyone hearing my mistakes.

It was only when I returned to Ireland in 2008 and took an college course in Spanish that I realised how much work I had to do on tenses I never knew existed. I now know I have a lot of work to do if I'm ever to get to C2 standard. My biggest issue is that I no longer need to speak Spanish, and I'd prefer to study more unusual languages (to us Irish) like Khasi, Hindi and Albanian. I still hope to do the C2 some day, but I know it'll be a struggle.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 73 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version