ALS
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 1 of 4
08 June 2010 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I just started Linguaphone and I'm curious as to how quickly people tend to go through each lesson. I just finished the first lesson and I spent about two days on it, about half an hour the first day and an hour tonight, before I felt comfortable with the material. There was also some time spent just reading the handbook and making sure I understood the instructions.

Speaking of the instructions, I really didn't care for repeating the tape and text lesson over and over and over. I know they help to cement everything in memory but I understood 90% of the words and grammatical points long before that and I found repeating it all after that to just be boring and felt like I was losing my momentum. Not something I want to happen long term with language study. Does anyone else deviate here and just move on when they feel comfortable, even if they haven't repeated every step half a dozen times?
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 4
08 June 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
With regard to the dialogue courses from the 70s-90s this is what I do:

Each lesson is in 3 parts, but most lessons have 2 'scenes' in part 2, so I treat these as two parts. Not being particularly blessed with time I study one part per day and do the exercises on the 5th day depending on time. So this gives about 150 days of short lessons per course (i.e. 30 chapters).

I listen to the part without the text, listen with the text and then again without the text. I then shadow the audio with the text and then without (i.e. one sentence at a time). After this I go through the audio/text again note by note concentrating on the grammar points and I put all the vocab I don't already know in the part onto my index card program. Finally I listen to the audio without the text to see that I follow it properly. On the fifth day I review the whole chapter without and then with the text before doing the oral and written exercises. Every five chapters I review the chapter
a translate it from the target language into English in order to see if I have grasped it.

I agree this is pretty slow, but I am a slow learner and used to Assimil - I find that slowing Linguaphone down gives you the fun of the Assimil 'spare time' course experience.

ALS
United States
Joined 5592 days ago

104 posts - 131 votes 
Studies: Norwegian, Finnish, Russian

Message 3 of 4
09 June 2010 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
How much time would you say you spend on each lesson then before you move on to the next one? I have a lot of time on my hands but it's hard to find a balance between keeping up motivation through progress and getting burned out by working too hard at first and then losing interest when it slows down later.

I think 2 days per lesson with a half hour of study per day is what I'm going to stick with for a bit and see how that works. I'm also putting harder words into Anki, which right now are mostly verbs for some reason, and I might put some grammatical points onto index cards to drill myself with (I don't like using an SRS for more abstract ideas).

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 4 of 4
09 June 2010 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
Yes - that would work: it takes about 30 minutes to go through a chapter - but I would build a review session in every five chapters to keep every thing solid. According to the old advertising the 1970s-90s courses were designed to be done in 3 months - too short a time to master the material, in my view. As with all languages courses, it is often good to shoot through the course and then focus in detail on your weaknesses later.   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version