Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5965 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 4
09 June 2010 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Having recently decided to study Danish, I purchased both the Teach Yourself Danish and Colloquial Danish courses. Both these course take a similar approach, and have two audio CD's, which is normal for their series.

In previous language learning attempts using these courses, I use to go through each unit, completing every exercise, before moving on. I would only listen to the audio relevant to that unit, and would repeat each dialogue a number of times. This meant a unit would take a number of days to complete, and it was hard to listen to the same stretch of audio over and over again. If a grammar point was mentioned in the unit, but not tested in the exercises, I soon forgot it. If the audio was difficult to match with the text, I sometimes gave up all together. E.g. Colloquial Latvian.

My new approach is much simpler. Instead of stalling on a unit, plough ahead, skipping the exercises, and read through the next unit. When listening to the audio, listen to the whole CD, and not just the unit in question. Try and cover as many units together as possible in a session. During the next session, sweep through the same long stretch again, but maybe start at a different point. It takes me about 40 minutes to properly cover a unit. If you want, in the second or third sweep, pick a good exercise and complete it. Don't get bogged down in silly exercises like rearranging sentences, puzzles or crosswords. Translation exercises can be a useful test.

As I'm doing this with Danish, certain common words like og (and), med (with), and men (but), I hear often, and in different contexts. If a word is hard to decipher in a dialogue, I'll probably hear it again in a later dialogue. Sometimes the audio contains exercises and pronunciation practice. I'll do them as I hear them. I arrived at this method based on my experiences with L-R, which is probably the most efficient way to learn a language, if you've already got the basics, or a good grammar book.

Edited by DaraghM on 09 June 2010 at 11:58am

3 persons have voted this message useful

rlf1810
Triglot
United States
Joined 6154 days ago

122 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Slovak

Message 2 of 4
09 June 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
Interesting approach to the series. I agree with skipping the 'silly exercises'. TY exercises don't exactly have that FSI efficiency. I think the ridiculous amount of English used on the TY cd's is what keeps me from using them though. But, I'll give this a try in the future.

-Robert
1 person has voted this message useful

Petitanne
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5138 days ago

19 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: French*, English, GermanC1
Studies: Spanish, Latin, Arabic (Written), Hindi

Message 3 of 4
09 June 2010 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
I think it's an interesting approach indeed to keep the motivation up. I will try to follow your method and see if I can get better results.

Cheers.

anamsc
Triglot
Andorra
Joined 6017 days ago

296 posts - 382 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Written), French

Message 4 of 4
09 June 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
I did something similar with TY Catalan. I would listen to the dialog for the unit about 5 times, listen to the vocab about 3 times, read the unit, and move on to the next one. Normally I didn't listen to the whole CD at once like you, but I would listen to everything up to the relevant unit and then the next unit. It took me about two weeks to go through it at this rate (I wasn't really spending alot of time on Catalan at the time). After that, I went through the whole book a second time with the intention of being more thorough, and it all came very easily to me.

I don't know how well this would work for a harder language, though. It worked for Catalan because I knew Spanish and it was similar, but I feel like you might get discouraged for a language like Korean or something.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version