Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
colingreen47
Germany
Joined 5068 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English

Message 1 of 8
14 June 2010 at 8:27am | IP Logged 
There are several ways to improve your listening skill but the best way is to watch movies or listening to songs with subtitles, this way you can read what you are listening and understand better.
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6883 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 8
14 June 2010 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
colingreen47 wrote:
There are several ways to improve your listening skill but the best way is to watch movies or listening to songs with subtitles, this way you can read what you are listening and understand better.

The problem with movies + subtitles is that the latter rarely seem to match the audio in the former.

Max_Italia
Italy
Joined 5052 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Studies: English

Message 3 of 8
21 June 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
colingreen47 wrote:

I agree. Also i do the same thing, principally

zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5124 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 4 of 8
21 June 2010 at 1:22pm | IP Logged 
Movies are hardly ever correctly translated. That's the one good thing you can watch
foreign movies and know what they are really saying.

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5336 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 5 of 8
21 June 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Once I've reached an intermediate stage and can get the basic gist, I always off turn the subtitles so I can focus more on listening and body language. I don't think I've ever learnt more than a word or two at very best from watching foreign films with subs, and I've watched loads in many different languages during my lifetime so far. But then again, maybe that's just me.

Instead I tend to always remove subtitles right from the very beginning when learning a language, as I find this really helps sharpen by ability to recognise new words I've learnt that particular day. It also further consolidates my ability to hear more commonly used words throughout the early stages of learning, and I don't end up missing so much of the movie anymore by reading the captions underneath.

Edited by Teango on 21 June 2010 at 2:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ronmiel
United Kingdom
Joined 5022 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes

Message 6 of 8
22 August 2010 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Bonjour a tous

I know this subject has done to death like a lot of other subjects but i feel as though i've tried a lot of the recommended stratergies without a lot of success.

I have being seriously studying French for almost eight months and have 'completed' Assimil new French with ease. I feel i can understand each lesson both reading and listening and i have just started Assimil using French. I passed the DELF A2 level in June. I found the listening exercises during the workbooks and the test itself a little difficult but did enough to pass the exam but the listening score was lowest.

I've been listening to TV5 monde almost from the first day i started studying French and i've also tried listening to podcasts, audio books and news broadcasts while reading a transcript and my listening really doesn't seem to be improving.

I study for at least 2 hours a day, a lot of the times 3 hours a day. I do Assimil, read a lot, practice makes perfect verb tenses workbook, podcasts and watch a lot of TV5 monde.

If there are any additional tips than the ones everyone has previously mentioned i would love to hear them, if not i'll just keep up with the audio books and TV5 monde.

Thank you for any advice.   

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5127 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 7 of 8
22 August 2010 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
ronmiel wrote:
[...] If there are any additional tips than the ones everyone has previously mentioned i would love to hear them, if not i'll just keep up with the audio books and TV5 monde. [...]

First of all, welcome to the forum, ronmiel!

As you said this topic is discussed quite often on the forum: that proves that you are not alone in finding listening comprehension challenging.

Keep getting as much exposure to authentic material as is reasonably possible: I believe this is the most important factor for improving comprehension.

One thing that I usually find useful is to add some more active ‘exercises’ to your routine extensive listening. What I mean is that when you listen to the radio or to a podcast or you watch TV, you make huge efforts trying to understand everything that’s being said (extensive listening), unfortunately ending up most of the times only getting the gist of the programme. Instead, if you are forced to find an answer to a question (as is usually the case in tests), you can usually get better results (and a confidence boost) from your listening because not only are you more focussed (because you are searching for a specific piece of information) but also because the question itself will give you a hint on what you are about to hear (and expectation plays a great role in language understanding).

I find that this method is effective for me, so you may want to try it to see if it works for you too. Luckily, you can find quite a lot of material online for French (although several programmes are now on a summer hiatus): for instance on the RFI website:
http://www.rfi.fr/lffr/statiques/accueil_apprendre.asp
and on the BBC site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/news/topic_focus/franc e.shtml

If you find these programmes are still too difficult, maybe try this link as well:
http://www.ur.se/Ung/Amnen/Sprak/Franska/Nyheter/
It’s from a Swedish site, and the French used here seems easier to me.
To listen to the audio click on ‘Nouvelles en français från …’ in orange near the top of the page.
After listening and answering, click ‘Rätta’ at the bottom of the page to see which ones you got right and which ones you missed.
On the left column there’s an archive with previous articles (I think the dates are quite transparent even if they are written in Swedish).

I hope this helps. Good luck with your studies.

PS. Delete the blanks in the links.

ronmiel
United Kingdom
Joined 5022 days ago

23 posts - 23 votes

Message 8 of 8
22 August 2010 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
Hello Emme

Thank you for your welcome and advice/links. I have been a long time reader of the forum and have used a lot of posters methods in my study. I have tried the RFI site and the B2 level excercises i find very hard. I want to attempt the DELF B2 next January and since listening was the weakest aspect of my A2 test, i have a lot of work to do on it.
I haven't done a lot of active listening exercises lately, i did when i was studying for the A2 but as you know A2 isn't high. I'm going to get the B2 study book shortly so maybe doing the excercises in that book will help.

Thanks for your reply.

On a side note I've been wanting to start Italian for a long while but have always held off for fear of ruining my fledgling French but i will get to it soon, hopefully after passing the B2 exam.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version