daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5092 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 5
14 June 2010 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 

Hello there guys.

I have been reading about the " Assimil method on this forum and seen a few videos on
youtube. By all what I have read it seems like a very good method..

I bought the Assimil along with the audio and now I am just looking through it. The
thing is I have been studying Spanish for about two years off and on, so I would put my
level of Spanish at maybe Intermediate, lower for the listening comprehension.

The lessons from one to ten are a bit basic for me plus there are certain questions
from later in the book [ The first wave ] that I understand as well.

To say I have been self studying with Spanish for two years or more I think I am going
around in circles.

I won't bore you guys with the ways I have tried to learn Spanish, but they are the
ways most people try to learn Eg: Grammar books, Word lists [ Flash cards ] jumping
around from program to program and not sticking to one.. Hahaa. Listening to audio that   
is probably to advanced for comprehension and reading Spanish books that are too
advanced as well.

So now I have the Assimil Spanish with ease, I am going to stick with it no matter what
happens. For someone that knows Spanish already, what do you guys suggest in doing..?

Start at the beginning of the book..? Or skip the first few and start at a lesson that
I think mite be right for me..?

What do you guys think..? Any advice would be great.

Thanks David.

1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 5
14 June 2010 at 1:46pm | IP Logged 
I was in a similar situation to you. I started at the beginning despite the tedium of the initial lessons. However, one thing you could try is an Active Wave test from Lesson 1. Cover up the Spanish and translate from the English. Once it begins going "wrong" you'll have your starting point. You'll have to be the judge of how wrong is wrong.

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5092 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 3 of 5
14 June 2010 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 

Thanks for the feedback Andy.

Like I said I know quite a bit of Spanish, but even looking in the first few lessons I
see some Phrases that I have not learned. Eg. in the first lesson I see the phrase "
Bien, Tú, en cambio, tienes mala cara " Well the Bien, Tú and the Tienes mala cara are
no problem but it´s the first time I have seen " en cambio " In a phrase like this. So
I actually think It´s a good idea to start at the first lesson and go from there.

It is rather tedious knowing maybe 90% of the phrase and having to listen and listen to
them but If it has to be this way then It's good for the future I think.

"Cover up the Spanish and translate from the English " ? It looks like a good plan does
this Andy, I will try it, thanks again.

mackros
Australia
Joined 5090 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 4 of 5
14 June 2010 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
As a matter of fact, I bought a set of Assimil Spanish (along with Assimil for other languages) after having read many positive comments in this forum, and I never regret it. :)

Me too, I reached a lower intermediate level some years back, and now, I am using Assimil Spanish to 'jump-start' my Spanish. I started with Chapter 8 (since chapters 1 - 7 are kinda easy and slow), and I still feel that I learnt/am learning a alot from this course. Perhaps you could first listen to the audio until you reach a point where you feel that you are no longer following/when there're many words that you do not know, and then start the 'Assimil program' with this particular chapter? :)

And by the way, hello everyone, I am new to this forum. :)

Edited by mackros on 14 June 2010 at 7:56pm

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5092 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 5 of 5
14 June 2010 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 

Mackros, I understand what you mean.

I will go through the first lessons in the book just Incase I miss some phrases that I
need to learn, maybe go through this routine below, but cut the repetitions down a bit,
it depends on the phrase.

[ I copied this routine from another post, I can't remember which one but thank you to
that person ]

1 Listen to the audio, without the book, to see what I can understand, 3 times.
2 Listen to the audio while reading the target language, 3 times.
3 Listen to the audio while reading the English translation, 3 times.
4 Listen to the audio, without the book, 3 times

When I come up against a phrase I mite struggle with, I will just add more repetitions
again.

Besides using Assimil I will still do some words and phrase lists with my flashcard
software, and also use my Verbarrator software [ This is very very good for the Spanish
verbs ] Have any of you guys tried using the Verbarrator ?

Also for more listening comprehension and for reading practice I have some new books
that I bought that come with the audio on cd's, they are called " Lola Lago Detective "
they have them in the levels A1, A2, A2+ and B1 I think there are about seven in the
series.

They only contain about 70 pages but the stories are in short sections, so are the
audio files, it makes it so much easier to put them on repeat for the listening
comprehension and the reading practice, maybe listen 3, 4, or 5 times then move on to
the next.

Thanks Mackros.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version