Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

1000 hours with Czech(TAC’13 Team Kofola)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian, Czech, French, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Portuguese

Message 9 of 24
11 July 2010 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
45 hours. I keep on moving towards 200, now the latter doesn't look so impossible.

Still, I have the feeling I'm not doing as much as I could. Slovak radio contributes overwhelmingly to my learning process as usual. I'm mastering declension, mainly singular of nouns of all genders. The ending -ovi in locative strikes me as I am a Pole, we put simple -u here, compare: o Ondrejovi/ o Andrzeju. Something to memorize is genitive for male nouns, it does not always correspond to a Polish ending. But I don't thing a mistake would matter for the Slovaks. I'm planning a trip to Slovakia, I must buy some audiobooks, it's so efficient approach for me.

I had also a tiny interlude: few hours of listening to Czech. I'm happy my listening skills has improved, Slovak really helps. I consider starting Czech after I achieve more foundation in Slovak. I've realized leaving Czech behind would be a cultural and historical nonsense. I didn't experience much difficulties with early modern Slovak text, the language is, as some put it "slovakized Czech".

When I hear a word I don't know I can immediately decipher the meaning: that is a rule, my inability to understand is exceptional.

I've overcame a crisis, it had happened several days ago. In fact my Czech experience was to break routine. It proved to work, now I'm back in Slovak. Enough writing, let's make some progress.     

Edited by Theodisce on 11 July 2010 at 10:35pm

1 person has voted this message useful

eumiro
Bilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 5033 days ago

74 posts - 102 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, Slovak*, French, English, German, Polish, Spanish, Russian
Studies: Italian, Hungarian

Message 10 of 24
12 July 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
Theodisce wrote:
When I hear a word I don't know I can immediately decipher the meaning: that is a rule, my inability to understand is exceptional.

Great! How about false friends? Szukać, mieszkanie, droga, miłość, prasa, zachód, zapach, jagoda,... ;-)

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5067 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 11 of 24
12 July 2010 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
I feel a strong urge to correct this sentence:
Theodisce wrote:
The basic question is: when nouns X get ending Z and when they don't?

The basic question is: when do nouns X get ending Z and when do they not? ;)

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 

Message 12 of 24
03 February 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
It's my first post since long. Some time ago I got really frustrated about my limited access to audio resources in Slovak. Sadly, Slovak national radio podcast archive is not as rich as that of Czech radio. At some point I regretted choosing a language to learn without checking, if there were enough audio materials available online.

For last few months I have been extensively listening to Czech radio. I found what I wanted- a great variety of podcast concerning topics I'm interested in, a variety that isn't diminished on a weekly basis as new podcast appear and older get deleted. My understanding of Czech has increased greatly- apart from fiction, I can understand much more than at the time I started my adventure with Czech. I didn't go beyond the very first chapter of Colloquial Czech- in fact, I'm still bored with textbooks.

But my love for Slovak didn't disappear. Maybe it was an amount of time and effort I devoted to the language, maybe the beauty of the language itself, maybe my memories of charming Slovak landscaped and towns... perhaps everything matters. Few days ago I edited my first article for Slovak Wikipedia and didn't make many mistakes apart from those of stylistic kind. I seems like I really internalized large parts of the language. Let's make my command of it more active!

Myslím si, že ne je to veľmi hlúpy nápad- niečo písať osobne. Väčšinu mojich jazykov používam len pasívne a cítim, že už je čas zrobiť z nich aktívny úžitok. Prosím Vás, keby môžete, opravte moje chyby.

As to false friends- I'm aware of some most obvious and the context continues to explain the rest. I can say I have good sense of Slavic etymology and derivation methods and it helps a lot.

Edited by Theodisce on 03 February 2011 at 8:34pm

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 

Message 13 of 24
09 February 2011 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Yeah. Slovak Radio has just demolished it's site. Many podcasts are gone and what remains is mainly podcasted music. Seems like I'm cut off from my main language resource so I think I will do some active Czech and wait for the website to reorganize.

Dnes jsem složil zkoušku z antické řecké literatury klasického období. Byla to velmi těžká zkouška a sem velmi rad, že už sem ni složil. Zítra budu překladač Ciceronově řeči a listy. Ještě stále musím napsat esej o historickém Ježíšovi, ale mám už knihy, které potřebujem, aby ho napsat.

It was somehow more exhaustive to write few sentences in Czech than in Slovak, the biggest problem being Czech diacritics (wondering how does it feel to master Polish orthography as a Czech). I want to write Czech sentences as often as possible as I need to convert my passive vocabulary into active.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 

Message 14 of 24
05 March 2011 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
A little bit of Czech.

Jídlo, které je studené, není tak dobré, jak teplé jihlo. To nové auto je tvoje? Není velmi hezké. Tvoje zrcátko je dobré. To nové křeslo je pohodlné. Mléko je staré a špinavé. Moje křeslo je nepohodlné. Dunaj je čistý, není špinavý. To pero je staré, ne nové.

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 

Message 15 of 24
26 June 2011 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Slovani jsou indoevropské lidi bydlíce v východní a střední Evropě. Jméno "Slovani" označuji etnickou a lingvistickou skupinu lidi kteří mluví jazyky kteří patři k slovanské jazykové skupině.

Since the beginning of the year I have listened to spoken Czech for 60 hours. The summer has just begun so I hope I will have much more time to listen. Let's see what I can do.

Edited by Theodisce on 26 June 2011 at 11:17pm

Theodisce
Octoglot
Poland
Joined 5645 days ago

127 posts - 167 votes 

Message 16 of 24
05 July 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I was happy to get an old Teach Yourself Czech book. I did 6 lessons out of about 40 until now and finally I'm becoming more aware of Czech grammar. Seems like the immersion works best when aided with some old fashion grammar.

3 days ago I felt that my Czech wasn't improving that fast. But surprisingly, one day after that feeling appeared I experienced this unique moment when you want to say something in a foreign language and the sentence comes out from the depth of unconsciousness before you have a chance to reflect on it. Sure, it doesn't mean that there's no more work waiting to be done, but at last some brain chemistry is starting to work.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version