facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5155 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 9 of 11
17 June 2010 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
@Datsunking

After reading your review I've decided that I will purchase this soon. I've been trying to get a hold of it and one of my friends sent me an old version of Assimil Italian without toil and it's very hard working through the pdf file so I think a book would be much easier. Also I've found that I basically fly through the lessons(just started yesterday and I'm already on lesson 11) I'm not sure if I'm going too fast or not, but once I purchase the Italian with ease I think it will work out well.

If I may ask how far along is your Italian since you stopped using assimil?

EDIT: I'm also using Headstart from the FSI site and I think it's very interesting and is working well. I'm on unit 4 in that one

Edited by Slovak_anglo on 17 June 2010 at 7:38pm

1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 10 of 11
17 June 2010 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
I can understand a good part of Italian due to my knowledge of Spanish, I only got to lesson 18 or something before I quit. (I realized German, Italian, and Spanish were too much at one time, and I figured I would finish Italian with Ease at college because it would give me something to do during my very tiny amount of "free time) Right now I focusing on straight German (German Without Toil, Grammar, etc. I want basic-advanced fluency in the next 2 years or so) and Spanish because I'm minoring in it. I hope to have mastered German, Italian, and Spanish by the time I get out of college in 4 years (more than enough time) :D

That is an EXTREME pace to be going through Assimil hahaha!
I did one lesson a day. It really is much easier with the book, I HATE sitting in front of the computer.

After Assimil and some speaking practice (along with some extra vocabulary and verb study) I'd say you would be at a good basic fluency. It's important to use native materials with Assimil like music, Tv, or the radio. Your skill will really skyrocket. Assimil isn't quite enough to claim basic fluency, but I really think it's the best program available.

If I had to go to Italy in 3-6 months, if I went through Italian With Ease and brought a little dictionary and grammar guide, I would be VERY well off in my opinion. I'd be ready to handle any situation.

With hard work, I bet you could be seeing fluency in under a year :)

Edited by datsunking1 on 17 June 2010 at 7:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Slovak_anglo
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/deliver
Joined 5155 days ago

87 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, Slovak

Message 11 of 11
18 June 2010 at 2:43am | IP Logged 
I felt like it was quite extreme. The lessons are very short, and I think that's why I went so fast. I think the book is going to be better too. one of my neighbors is from bolonga and the other from Sicillia so getting speaking practice shouldn't be too much trouble

German is pretty much my second language if you're looking for German tv the best place is deutsche welle. they have video/radio on demand and also things for learners, such as "Langsam Gesprochen Deutsches Radio" I also enjoy watching spongebob schwammkopf(spongebob in German=)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version