SimonD
United Kingdom
Joined 5086 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 7
15 June 2010 at 4:11pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I have just begun learning Spanish (I have the Spanish course by Michel Thomas) which I'm making steady progress with. Having read through a lot of the posts on this forum, I discovered that another popular course is Pimsleur. However, seeing that its fairly pricy I thought I would check my local library and see if they had it. Considering the language section of the library is very small, I couldn't believe my luck when I found it.

However, I've just noticed that its the Latin American version and don't know if this will be a hindrance or even confuse my learning. Although I do intend to travel to South America, my primary reason for learning Spanish is because I will visiting Spain a fair amount as I now have family living there.

I'm also considering using Assimil and FSI once I've finished MT and Pimsleur. Are they likely to be very different from the Pimsleur Latin American version?

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

1 person has voted this message useful

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 2 of 7
15 June 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Which part of Spain? Some dialects are more like America than others.

FSI is based on South American dialects, but Assimil is based on Spanish Spanish.

Edited by Cainntear on 15 June 2010 at 8:51pm

JimC
United Kingdom
tinyurl.com/aberdeen
Joined 5357 days ago

199 posts - 317 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 3 of 7
15 June 2010 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Pimsluer is good, particularly if you get it at the library. I wouldn't worry too much about it
being Latin American, you will still learn all of the basics. you can then "convert" your learning
to Spanish Spanish very easily

SimonD
United Kingdom
Joined 5086 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 7
16 June 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged 
Cainntear wrote:
Which part of Spain? Some dialects are more like America than others.

FSI is based on South American dialects, but Assimil is based on Spanish Spanish.

Some family members have moved to Malaga so I will be focusing my travels on the south, although I do intend to visit Madrid, Barcelona etc.

FSI is another course I am considering after I've completed MT and Pimsleur. If this is based on South American dialects, I think I'll give the Pimsleur I have a go.

Thanks for the replies.

Simon

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6913 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 5 of 7
16 June 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Interestingly our library has a Peninsular Spanish version. County-wide, they seem to offer either the "short course" which is 5 CDs or the Beginners Part A and B both of which are 9 CDs each - which IIRC together form Pimsleur I. I'm not sure what the short course is.

Which one do you have? The short course seems very minimal (in size) to me - so it might be worth doing a catalogue search to see what else is available.

Otherwise - note what Cainntear has said - particularly about the part of Spain. I found it a little strange at first switching from one accent to another - I started with Platiquemos (a FSI derivative) and added Assimil to the mix part way through (as a result of Prof. Arguelles' recommendations here). We tend to visit Andalucia when going to Spain, so I decided to concentrate on a Latin-American pronunciation and after a while the differing accents became an irrelevance.

Edit: I notice our posts have crossed... FSI courses aren't for everyone. Many find the drilling tedious and of little benefit. The fortunate thing is you can try if out for free and see if it's for you.

Edited by Andy E on 16 June 2010 at 9:12am

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 6 of 7
16 June 2010 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
The biggest difference between Peninsular (Spanish) Spanish and Latin American Spanish is that LAS makes no distinction between S and Z whereas PS does... except in the southwest -- you know, places like Málaga.

I'd just get whatever course is best and I wouldn't worry about the dialect!

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5092 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 7 of 7
16 June 2010 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 

Simon, If your going to learn Spanish and your planning on visiting your family in
Spain more than anywhere else, then I think it would be better to teach your self the
Spanish from Spain, there are differences in the Latin American Spanish and the
European Spanish, not so many but but some.

I live in Madrid, and at the moment I am teaching my self Castillian Spanish, I use
various methods like Flash cards and a pretty good grammar book called USO ( De la
gramática española, elemental )

I don´t use the Grammar book so much though these days but it´s a good book to start
with for a beginner of Spanish.

I have added 2 more methods to teaching my self Spanish and they are The Assimil
Spanish with ease ( very very good ) and some short story books that come with audio cd
´s there called Lola Lago Detective, there are about 7 books in the series with levels
in Spanish ranging from A1 up to B1, there are only about 70 pages in the books but
they are very good for the listening comprehension, plus you can read the story while
you listen.

Which ever Spanish you decide to teach your self Simon, just stick with it and enjoy
it.

David.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version