Diglot
Norway
Joined 5395 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 9 of 13
28 June 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Haha your video is very hilarious video and it look's like a hotel lobby with all of
those multi lingual tourist brochures:)
I definitely agree with your "just speak it" approach, and in 3 months you can get far
in any language.
Indonesian was the first language I tried this with and it worked. I was kind of lazy
though but I feel like this just gives the language some time to sink in. So it's been
a year since I started and about 8 months of immersion in Indonesia, but I still
haven't studied it. Very funny to think of my first silly sentences a year ago, and how
I never thought I would be able to learn anything this way.

Do you study languages at all? Using grammar books, dictionaries, translating etc? I
mean on your own.
What level have you reached in your respective languages?
Will you try other language families than romance and Germanic? Do you think one needs
more than 3 months with other families?
1 person has voted this message useful

Liface
Triglot
United States
youtube.com/user/Lif
Joined 5668 days ago

150 posts - 237 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, French

Message 10 of 13
01 August 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Benny, you should join the HTLAL couchsurfing group!
here

Edited by Liface on 01 August 2010 at 8:33am

WANNABEAFREAK
Diglot
Hong Kong
cantonese.hk
Joined 6637 days ago

144 posts - 185 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, Cantonese
Studies: French

Message 11 of 13
05 August 2010 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Benny. I have a question for you....

I've spent a good 8 months learning French and no I don't live in France :-(

Anyway, I extensively listen to Steve Kaufmann (I guess you have a little bit of a biff with him) on Lingq.com, from listening its obvious his French is near-native. I'm not talking about just fluent fast French, I'm talking about he can do super advanced literature at fast speed without thinking twice.

In any regards, I just watched your German video and what you've achieved in 3 months and that you reckon you don't need to study as its destructive and go out and speak and be sociable etc. However, I'm wondering as I'm doubting my own intellectual failure to speak Fluent french, whether you could carry on advanced level discussions in German/French with your hacking methods of learning languages?

Can I conclude that your level is colloquial and not a educated level in these languages?

irishpolyglot
Nonaglot
Ireland
fluentin3months
Joined 5443 days ago

285 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: Irish, English*, French, Esperanto, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Sign Language
Studies: Mandarin

Message 12 of 13
05 August 2010 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies everyone!
@Justberta I do indeed study, but I don't make this the core focus of my work. I have grammar and vocabulary books, but I mix studying in with as much practical use of the language as possible.

Outside of Germanic and Latin languages I have Irish (Celtic), some Czech (Slavic) that I did learn to a good level, but have decided not to maintain, and am now working on Hungarian which is not Indo European. You can see my blog or a thread in the Log section of HTLAL for more info about my Hungarian project.

@Liface Thanks, interesting idea!

@Wannabe I'm afraid I disagree about Steve Kaufmann's French being "near native" based on what I have seen in his videos. A native French speaker should comment, but I find his English accent really strong and I have only seen him talk about the fact that he speaks French, so I'd prefer to hear other topics. In my youtube channel I talk about many things (travel, technology, culture, dances etc.) in various languages.

One polyglot that has successfully reached a great "near native" level in French would be Luca from Italy - I personally wouldn't claim to be "near native" in any of my languages, although I was able to pass myself off as a native in Brazilian Portuguese last year (but that is only in social circumstances, and wouldn't work with someone simply analysing my voice). Steve's Asian languages sound more impressive to me, but I don't speak them.

I agree that he can do "super advanced literature" but that is not something I'm interested in, my focus is speaking.

Yes I carry on advanced discussions in my languages. I try to have a good overall level. I don't know what you might mean by colloquial vs educated. I have CEFLR diplomas in some languages, so maybe that's "educated", but most of what I learned was with people rather than books so it's more colloquial. I think Steve would do better than me at formal events, whereas I would do better than him at parties and making friends within my age group. Each one of us is happy with that and that's all we need for our own purposes ;)

I don't live in France either - I improved my French way more outside of the country than in it by meeting travelling French people.

Edited by irishpolyglot on 05 August 2010 at 7:19pm

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6126 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 13 of 13
06 August 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
irishpolyglot wrote:
@Wannabe I'm afraid I disagree about Steve Kaufmann's French being "near native" based on what I have seen in his videos. A native French speaker should comment, but I find his English accent really strong and I have only seen him talk about the fact that he speaks French, so I'd prefer to hear other topics. In my youtube channel I talk about many things (travel, technology, culture, dances etc.) in various languages.

There are conversations with him and native French speakers, discussing things like politics and food. They show he can tackle essentially any subject in French, both fluently and eloquently, I found them very interesting. If you're interested at all, I think they're still available at the FrenchLingQ.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version