feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 1 of 9
18 June 2010 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
I'm trying to work on my Finnish with the Listening-Reading method, but the only text that I can find both in Finnish and English, and with an audio recording, is the bible. Now, I would call myself a Christian, but I've never really considered the bible to be a particularly engaging read. So, I'm wondering whether or not this will be an effective method or whether I should simply keep on working with other methods. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

EDIT:
If there are any other resources in Finnish with English translation and Finnish audio that anyone knows of, that would be great too.

Edited by feanarosurion on 18 June 2010 at 6:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5112 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 2 of 9
18 June 2010 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
I can't say that I try the L-R method nor do I know any ressources for your Finnish but I can give you some insight.

I use the L-R, the first part (L and R in T2), for Russian with the bible using faith coming by hearing and unbound bible when I come across some difficulties with the language. I did 20 chapters of Matthew in the New Testament. As far as I'm concern it worked well for me. The next day I woke up and my listening and prunonciation had improved but I did use an other method in parallel so t tough to guest the effect of L-R alone.

Nevertheless, The new testament is 20 hours long if you find it not really engaging, you will have difficulties just to try it. Don't forget that you will listen and read it 4 or 5 times and if you find the text unengaging, it will be a might battle of will to completed that part of the L-R method.

I am sure you will be able to find some ressources. Some classic have been translate in more than thirty language, finnish should be one of them. To give you some ideas, I found a The hobbit and Lord of the ring, both the text and the audiobook on the web. The main difficulty I encounter, to find file from p2p, was the language but Google translator will help you on your quest.

I know I didn't really answer any of your questions but I hope it will help you a little. Good luck.
1 person has voted this message useful

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 9
18 June 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't recommend the Bible as a learning material at all. The language is far from normal everyday spoken (or
written) Finnish even after the reform they made a couple of years ago. Also there are differences in the texsts in
different languages. (Instead of calling a lion leijona they used the invented word jalopeura which translates as
noble deer, because no-one knew really what a lion was a couple of hundreds years ago. I think that one is
correcred in the new version though.)

A lot of English books are being translated and published as audio books as well so instead of looking for Finnish
books translated to English you should look for English books translated to Finnish. Unfortunately I haven't really
been interested in audiobooks so I can't suggest anything.
4 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 4 of 9
18 June 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Alright I'll keep that in mind. As far as this goes then, if I can find the Lord of the Rings and actually obtain the resources, I'll go with that instead. Also, I'm definitely aware that the language of the bible isn't going to be the accurate to the modern language, but really, will the Lord of the Rings be any different? What about Tuntematon Sotilas? I found an audiobook for that, I'm sure I can track down a Finnish version, but has it ever been translated into English? I'm aware of the crude language, but I figure that it will work better for these purposes than the bible or the Lord of the Rings. Either way, at this point, Raamattu is still the only resource I have at my disposal unfortunately, but I figure I might as well make use of it until I can get a hold of something else. Also, just as a note, I don't necessarily find the bible enthralling, but I find it interesting, and I actually like having a different approach to reading it. However, if anybody can point me to some specific resources, I'd appreciate it.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 9
19 June 2010 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Lord of the Rings has many unusual words (because it's a fantasy novel set in a fantasy world), but other than
that I
think it's good and very rich Finnish. Occasionally (in poems and such) there are some older words and
structures.
I'd say it's better than the Bible for learning purposes. Tuntematon sotilas is linguistically somewhat dated and
has a
lot of dialogue in various dialects. Still I think it would be a good read too for study purposes. If you find an
older
edition the dialogue is the way Linna wrote it (they've made some correctins to it later) and is easier to read. So it
should be an interesting read to anyone wishing to learn Finnish dialects. Also it's culturally very important.

What about Finnish criminal novels? Leena Lehtolainen, Ilkka(?) Remes and others have written many novels and I
know they've been translated at least to German, maybe even to English. I'm sure I've seen some adds for
audiobooks too. The language should be easy and cover everyday subjects, which is a bonus.

Edited by chirel on 19 June 2010 at 10:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 6 of 9
19 June 2010 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
OK thank you very much, Chirel. I'll try to track some of these down. I think regardless of whether I can find English translations I'm going to try and get a hold of some of these texts for study purposes. I guess my only difficulty there is actually obtaining these books, but the Suomen Kirjakauppa website is relatively easy to navigate. Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kary
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5959 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 7 of 9
19 June 2010 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
I just spent an embarrassing amount of time researching Leena Lehtolainen. The bad news is that I couldn't find any English translations. (One can always hope for the future.) However, many of her books are readily available in text and audio format in Finnish and are widely translated. German is the most popular language for translations, but there are also some French and Spanish translations.

Several of her books are also dramatized and available on DVD, but that was beyond the scope of my search. Please don't laugh at my English "translations" of the titles. I don't read Finnish.

Some websites that helped:
Her main site (in Finnish) - http://www.leenalehtolainen.net/
Finnish audiobooks (click on Äänikirjat on side menu) - https://www.suurikuu.fi
Finnish publishing company, Tammi - http://tammi.fi/

Books

Ensimmäinen murhani ("My First Murder")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1993, ISBN 951-31-0159-2
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2006, ISBN: 9513137597, reader Erja Manto.
     French: Mon premier meurtre, translator Anne Colin du Terrail, Gaia Editions, 2004, ISBN: 2-84720-040-1
     German (text): Alle singen im Chor, Rowohlt, Rororo-sarja, 2002
     German (audio): Alle singen im Chor, audiobook, reader Ulrike Folkerts, Patmos Verlag, 2008.
     Albanian (text): (Ensimmäinen murhani), Morava Publishing House, tulossa 2009.

Harmin paikka ("What a nuisance")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1994, ISBN 951-31-0335-8
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2007, ISBN: 9789513139230, reader Erja Manto.
     French (text): La Poisse, translator Anne Colin du Terrail, Gaia Editions 2006, ISBN: 2-84720-081-9
     German (text): Auf die feine Art, Rowolt, Rororo-sarja 2003
     Albanian (text): (Harmin paikka), Morava Publishing House, tulossa 2009-2010.

Kuparisydän ("Copper heart")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1995, ISBN 951-31-0612-8
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2007, ISBN: 9789513140151, reader Erja Manto.
     French (text): Un coeur de cuivre, translator Anne Colin du Terrail, Gaïa Editions, 2009, ISBN: 978-2-84720-133-8
     German (text): Kupferglanz, Ariadne Krimi 1999
     Norwegian (text): Kobberhjertet, translator Ellen Holm Stenersen, Centrum Norsk Forlag, 08/2008.
     Ukrainian (text): Midne serdze, translator Jura Zub, Calvaria Publishing House, 03/2007.
     Russian (text): Mednoje Serdze, translator Taissia Djafarov, KomKniga 2006.

Luminainen ("The Snow Woman")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1996, ISBN 951-31-0800-7
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2009, ISBN: 9789513144005, reader Erja Manto.
     Dutch (text): Witte Onschuld, translator Annemarie Raas, Signature 2004
     German (text): Weiss wie die Unschuld, Rowohlt 2003
     Czech: (Luminainen), translator Markéta Hejkalova, Hejkal, 02/ 2008.
     Polish (text): Kobieta ze sniegu, translator Sebastian Muselak, Stowo/obarz Terytoria 2004.
     Swedish (text): Snöjungfru, translator Ann Christine Relander, Albert Bonniers Förlag 2002.

Kuolemanspiraali ("The Spiral of Death")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1997, ISBN 951-31-1077-X
     German (text): Die Todesspirale, Rowohlt, Rororo-sarja, 2004
     Czech (text): (Kuolemanspiraali), Hejkal, 2008.
     Polish (text): Spirala smierci, translator Sebastian Muselak, Stowo/obarz Terytoria, 2007.
     Swedish (text): Dödsspiralen, translator Marjut Markkanen. Albert Bonniers Förlag 2003.

Tuulen puolella ("The Turning Point")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1998, ISBN 978-951-31-1289-9
     German (text): Der Wind uber den Klippen, Rowohlt, Rororo sarja, 2004
     Czech (text): (Tuulen puolella), Hejkal, tulossa 2009
     Swedish (text): Vändpunkten, translator Marjut Markkanen. Albert Bonniers Förlag 2004.
     Chinese (text): (Tuulen puolella), translator Xi Mei-Fang, Sichuan 2002.

Tappava säde ("Lethal Radius")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 1999, ISBN 951-31-1505-4
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2003, ISBN: 9513128911.
     Dutch (text): Tijd om te sterven, Signature 2003
     German (text): Zeit zu sterben, Rowohlt, Rororo-sarja 2002

Ennen lähtöä ("Before departure")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2000, ISBN 951-31-1897-7
     German (text): Wie man sie zum Schweigen bring, Rowohlt / Kindler, 2005
     Swedish (text): Falska förespeglingar, translator Marjut Markkanen, Albert Bonniers Förlag 2005.

Sukkanauhatyttö ja muita kertomuksia ("Garter Girl and Other Stories")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2001, ISBN 951-31-2158-5
     Spanish (text): La joven con una liga, translator Ursula Ojanen ja Rafael García, Edicion de la Torre 2008
     Chinese (text): (Sukkanauhatyttö), translator Xi Mei-Fang, World Litterature in China 6/98.

Kun luulit unohtaneesi ("When you think you do not remember")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2002, ISBN 951-31-2498-3
     German: Du dachtest, du hättest vergessen, Kindler 2007
     Estonian: Uskusid juba - on meelest läinud, translator Anne Kutt, Eesti Keele Sihtasutus, 2006.

Veren vimma ("Frenzy of Blood")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2003, ISBN 951-31-2776-1
     German (text): Im Schwarzen See, Kindler 2006
     Czech (text): (Veren vimma), Hejkal, tulossa 2009.

Jonakin onnellisena päivänä ("During a day of happiness")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2004, ISBN 951-31-3089-4

Rivo Satakieli ("Vulgar nightingale")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2005, ISBN 951-31-3386-9
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2005, ISBN: 9513135098, reader Erja Manto.
     German (text): Wer sich nicht Fügen will, Kindler 2007
     Swedish (text): Studio Näktergalen, translator Marjut Markkanen, Albert Bonniers Förlag, 04/ 2007.

Viimeinen kesäyö ja muita kertomuksia ("The last summer night and other stories")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2006, ISBN 951-31-3709-0

Luonas en ollutkaan ("Lunch I was not" ;-) )
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2007, 978-951-31-3861-5
     German (text): (Luonas en ollutkaan), Kindler, upcoming 2009-2010.

Väärän jäljillä ("The wrong track")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2008, ISBN 978-951-31-4288-9
     German (text): Auf den falschen spur, Kindler, 2009

Henkivartija ("The Bodyguard")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2009, 978-951-31-4530-9
     Finnish (audio): Tammi 2009, ISBN: 9789513150921, reader Satu Paavola.
     * Videos (one with English subtitles) of author talking about this book.

Minne tytöt kadonneet ("Where are the girls disappeared")
     Finnish (text): Tammi 2010, ISBN 978-951-31-5625-1

Edit: To fix broken URL

Edited by Kary on 19 June 2010 at 10:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 8 of 9
19 June 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Certain parts of The Bible will be better for L-R practice than others. A list of 'Begats' won't help much, but the Nativity story, for example, you probably know well enough to fill in any gaps in your vocabulary - like 'manger'. :-)

There is an interesting post about The Bible in many languages (see Faith Comes By Hearing) Prof. Arguelles entry here on how-to-learn-any-language
About midway down didaskolos has a post about which chapters would be better suited to L-R type of reading, but I haven't myself investigated much farther, though I intend to.

Librivox may help - but looks like slim pickings for Finnish.
librivox.org the Finnish works as far as I can tell are:
13 matches
Completed works
Aho, Juhani. "Helsinkiin" · (readers)
Aho, Juhani. "Rautatie" · (readers)
Cajander, Paavo. "Finnish - Karpanen" (in "Multilingual Poetry Collection 007") · (readers)
Gripenberg, Alexandra. "Orjien vapauttaminen Pohjois-Amerikassa" · (readers)
Hellaakoski, Aaro. "Liian Paha Sappi" · (readers)
Juva, Valter. "Finnish: Korppi" (in "Raven, The (Multilingual)") · (readers)
Kivi, Aleksis. "Seitsemän veljestä" · (readers)
Leino, Eino. "Finnish - Nocturne" (in "Multilingual Poetry Collection 014") · (readers)
Reijonen, Juho. "Vaihdokas" · (readers)
Runeberg, Johan Ludvig (trans. Kaarlo Forsman). "Finnish - Rakastava" (in "Multilingual Poetry Collection 004") · (readers)
United Nations General Assembly. "Finnish - Ihmisoikeuksien Yleismaailmallinen Julistus" (in "Universal Declaration of Human Rights") · (readers)
Works in progress
Aho, Juhani. "Juha" (Open) · (readers) · Email me when this book is completed
Verne, Jules. "Veden päällä liikkuva kaupunki"

Edited by RedBeard on 19 June 2010 at 11:35pm

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version