Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 15
20 June 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
How successful is the Assimil method (alone, with tapes/CDs) in conferring fluency in the following:

Spanish (Castilian)
French
German
Italian
Portuguese (Portugal)
Russian

Ideally, I'd like to work with one central method to learn grammar and basic vocabulary and pronunciation. Then
couple that with reading literature alongside movies/TV programs in that language to further work on
pronunciation.

A little background: I am natively bilingual in English and a non-Russian Slavic language, and have had several
years in high school (into early college) of Spanish, an intensive course in Bengali, as well as about a year of self
study in Attic Greek. I am generally good at teaching myself, for example in science, but I understand that this is
a very different field of learning, so my usual methods of reading and memorizing will not be effective on
their own.

Edited by Merv on 20 June 2010 at 7:19am

1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 2 of 15
20 June 2010 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
Many people around here REALLY like the Assimil books. I think that most people around here would also recommend that one use the audio, too.

Regarding the effectiveness, I remember reading around here that Assimil courses take you to about the B1 level. I don't know if that's true or not, I just remember reading it. - If it is that level, then you can transition to native material, I bet.

You might want to try their French course for yourself. There are plenty copies of used ones around. Abebooks or Ebay or Alibris. If you find that you like it, great. If it isn't your style, then you haven't spent much money. Find something that suits you better and move on. Godspeed.

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 

Message 3 of 15
20 June 2010 at 8:44am | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:
Many people around here REALLY like the Assimil books. I think that most people around
here would also recommend that one use the audio, too.

Regarding the effectiveness, I remember reading around here that Assimil courses take you to about the B1
level. I don't know if that's true or not, I just remember reading it. - If it is that level, then you can transition to
native material, I bet.

You might want to try their French course for yourself. There are plenty copies of used ones around. Abebooks
or Ebay or Alibris. If you find that you like it, great. If it isn't your style, then you haven't spent much money.
Find something that suits you better and move on. Godspeed.

Thanks. I'm considering this approach and also the L-R approach on the Bible (especially New Testament). I see
that you've learned ancient Greek. That's my favorite language to learn, not just for the literature and the
importance in history, but also the New Testament connection. Also a beautiful language. I tried a weak text and
gave up (the grammar is scary). What did you use? I have purchased a copy of Hansen's Greek: An Intensive
Course, but I'm not sure if it's any good.

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 4 of 15
20 June 2010 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Merv wrote:
RedBeard wrote:
Many people around here REALLY like the Assimil books. I think that most people around

Regarding the effectiveness, I remember reading around here that Assimil courses take you to about the B1
level. I don't know if that's true or not, I just remember reading it. - If it is that level, then you can transition to
native material, I bet.

You might want to try their French course for yourself. There are plenty copies of used ones around. Abebooks
or Ebay or Alibris. If you find that you like it, great. If it isn't your style, then you haven't spent much money.

Thanks. I'm considering this approach and also the L-R approach on the Bible (especially New Testament). I see
that you've learned ancient Greek. That's my favorite language to learn, not just for the literature and the
importance in history, but also the New Testament connection. Also a beautiful language. I tried a weak text and
gave up (the grammar is scary). What did you use? I have purchased a copy of Hansen's Greek: An Intensive

All the Assimil methods are very good :)
I have Italian, German, Dutch, and French.

The Portuguese program is French based.

Redbeard is a native speaker of Greek :D I don't think he used a course.

The course that you purchased has a VERY good review here:

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Intensive-Course-Hardy-Hansen/dp /0823216632/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277036607&sr=8-1

Welcome to the forum!
If you have an questions just ask :)
-Jordan

tractor
Tetraglot
Norway
Joined 5263 days ago

1349 posts - 2292 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, Catalan
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 5 of 15
20 June 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

Since he is a native speaker of Ancient Greek he most likely used a time machine or found the Fountain of Youth.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 

Message 6 of 15
21 June 2010 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:
Merv wrote:
RedBeard wrote:
Many people around here REALLY like the Assimil
books. I think that most people around

native material, I bet.

All the Assimil methods are very good :)
I have Italian, German, Dutch, and French.

The Portuguese program is French based.

The course that you purchased has a VERY good review here:

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Intensive-Course-Hardy-Hansen/dp /0823216632/ref=sr_1_1?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277036607&sr=8-1

Welcome to the forum!
If you have an questions just ask :)
-Jordan

Thanks! I've just ordered the Assimil 1987 Spanish with Ease as well as an RVR 1960 version of the Spanish Bible
and will use the Family Bible Radio audio bible in parallel to use the L-R approach.

psy88
United States
Joined 5401 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 7 of 15
22 June 2010 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
A question for Jordan or anyone else who has used Assmil for several different languages:are the dialogs and little stories the same for each language? I have used Pimsleur for Spanish and have seen the introductory lesson for French and it seems to cover the same words, situations, etc. Are the Assimil the same? Thanks in advance for the help.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 8 of 15
22 June 2010 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
Psy88: Not in the least. Each course is stand alone, and they're not at all parallel in nature.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version