Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5083 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 1 of 4
20 June 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
The Bible (especially New Testament) has sufficient material, both in terms of vocabulary, grammar, and length, to
work for this technique. Also, it's been the most translated and probably most recorded book of all time.

Has anyone used this technique on the Bible to learn one or multiple foreign languages?

I just read about the technique and the concept really seems to "click" with me. It also reminds me a bit of Kato
Lomb's remarks on learning new languages.

Edited by Merv on 20 June 2010 at 8:41am

1 person has voted this message useful

datsunking1
Diglot
United States
Joined 5395 days ago

1014 posts - 1533 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Russian, Dutch, French

Message 2 of 4
20 June 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I've read about several people that have learned languages through the translations of the bible.

I second this.

I have no idea where I would find an audio bible in German or Spanish, but how would someone reccommend going about this?

Would you use L2 audio with the L1 bible,
or L2-L2?

Jordan

Edited by datsunking1 on 20 June 2010 at 2:27pm

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5089 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 3 of 4
20 June 2010 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
datsunking1 wrote:

I have no idea where I would find an audio bible in German or Spanish, but how would someone reccommend going about this?

Would you use L2 audio with the L1 bible,
or L2-L2?

This is an interesting idea, I have to admit, particularly since I'm not of a faith that uses that book, but my spouse will be teaching at a Christian school, so I figured I'd best brush up on the reading anyway.

I'd probably start L2-L1 for awhile, and then L2-L2. I haven't done L-R before but I've been reading a bunch of the earlier posts and given unfamiliarity with the material (or a desire to brush up on it, or just to sort of "know what's going on"), starting L2 audio, L1 visual might not be so bad. Then switch over.

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 4 of 4
20 June 2010 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
One can find The Bible in audio format here at Word Project in the following languages:
 English       Chinese
French       Portuguese
Russian       German
Spanish       Italian
Hindi         & nbsp;   Tamil
Korean       Vietnamese
Click the 'Audio' button on the top-left. I don't know how complete they are, the German,for example has only New Testament audio. I have downloaded each of the four Gospel books. That's as far as I've gotten. [soon, my precious, soon...]

For other, less-well-known languages you can find audio at Faith Comes By Hearing. They have Low German, "Plautdietsch" (as opposed to the High German, "Hochdeutsch" in most audio courses, etc.) I recommend that you go to the bottom of the page where the audio player is then click on "English/English Standard Ver..." (in the burgundy area) and then a small 'Search' bar comes up. I found it handier than the normal 'Search' doohickey near the top.

Also, there is a post worth noting midway down by didaskolos here on this very website regarding which parts of The Bible may be better suited for L-R.

And, as you probably know, there are many different versions of The Bible, so trying to find which version best fits the audio that you have may be a challenge.

Godspeed & keep us posted...

Edited by RedBeard on 20 June 2010 at 6:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version