LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5390 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
20 June 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Can anyone comment on the differences between the 1970s and 1950s editions of these courses ? Apparently the 1970s version is superior to the 1950s, but I'm interested to know how it differs specifically. What does the 1970s version have the 1950s version does not ?
1 person has voted this message useful

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6467 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 5
20 June 2010 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
The 70s version is good! if you can get, take it. The audio is possible to find someplace on line.
- If you dont want to do a German course, take the 1970s linguaphone course instead. Its very similar in approach,
and will bring you to approximately the same level, in my opinion.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6256 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 3 of 5
20 June 2010 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I've been using both off and on for a long while now. I have:

* English based "Russian without Toil", 1951
* German based "Russisch ohne Mühe", 1971
* French based "Le russe sans peine", 1971

I've been using the English and German versions, as my French isn't really up to learning through yet. I'm about halfway through both of them (a little beyond lesson 50 in both).

To be honest, I'm not really sure why one has come to be regarded as much better than the other. Some of the vocabulary in the 1971 version seems to be a bit more up-to-date, but other than that, they seem to be extremely similar. While I don't think any of the lessons are identical, there are a few lessons where the dialogues are very similar in both courses. The exercises are set up exactly the same, with "additional exercises" in later lessons, which are basically grammar drill type things. A large portion of the vocabulary is the same in both courses, barring, as I mentioned, some peculiar things in the 1951 version (I recently came across the word for "patties", as in the food).

I've found the English based version to be somewhat better regarding providing literal translations of things, whereas the German version will often fail to do so. That seems to be an issue with the German translation specifically however, as the 1971 French version is better about having literal translations and brackets. If I recall correctly, the French version has different lesson notes than the German version as well.

Now that I've thought about it, I suppose the 1971 versions are a little better - they just seem to be a tighter course, which should be expected, I suppose, seeing as (I believe) the 51 version was Assimil's first go at a Russian course. They're all good, however, and ultimately, it comes down to what you can find and what you can use. It doesn't much matter if the French 1971 version is the greatest thing in the world if you don't speak French. :)

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5390 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 

Message 4 of 5
20 June 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
josht wrote:

Now that I've thought about it, I suppose the 1971 versions are a little better - they just seem to be a tighter course, which should be expected, I suppose, seeing as (I believe) the 51 version was Assimil's first go at a Russian course. They're all good, however, and ultimately, it comes down to what you can find and what you can use.

Thanks for the detailed response - that's exactly the info I was after. I've just ordered a copy of the 1958 "le Russe sans peine" from Abebooks, and I was wondering if I should have gone for a later version. I guess it won't make too much difference from what you've said.

Quote:

It doesn't much matter if the French 1971 version is the greatest thing in the world if you don't speak French. :)

That's true. However, I have also cunningly ordered a copy of "French without toil" which I'll read before I start on the Russian book. Problem solved ;-)

LLF
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5390 days ago

66 posts - 72 votes 

Message 5 of 5
20 June 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
geirtbr wrote:

- If you dont want to do a German course, take the 1970s linguaphone course instead.

Sorry, I can't follow you here. Where does German come into the picture ?

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version