William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 9 of 14
23 June 2010 at 12:24pm | IP Logged 
I was studying German at Trier University in 1983-4. I occasionally went to Luxembourg, which is a short distance from Trier.

Germans in Trier said Luxembourgish was not very different from their dialect, and I notice Wikipedia classifies Luxembourgish as Moselle Franconian, which includes Trier dialect.

I was intrigued by the way Luxembourg newspapers would have alternate articles in French and standard German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

masmavi
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5503 days ago

9 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Spanish, Yiddish, Turkish, Italian

Message 10 of 14
23 June 2010 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
Luxembourgish is quite removed to High German but it is very close to the German dialects at the border. A lot of German dialects in their purest form are impossible to understand for speakers of other dialects. Without High German, there would be some serious communication difficulties. Yes, I would say it is just as different to standard German as Swiss German (this one probably even more )or Plattdeutsch, Koelsch or Bavarian.
The difference is, really, Luxembourg is its own country and Luxembourgish has a written tradition that most of the other dialects do not have. Therefore, Luxembourgish is also better protected to influences from High German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

garethw87
England
hockeywide.co.uk
Joined 4073 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 14
10 March 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to the Prince, you can get a BA Honours Degree in Luxembourgish Studies at
Sheffield University in the UK!

http://www.shef.ac.uk/german/prospectiveu_g/courses/1.120556

Edited by garethw87 on 10 March 2013 at 9:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 12 of 14
14 March 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
I find places like Luxembourg fascinating, where pretty much everyone can function in 2, 3 or even 4 languages. It totally destroys the argument that some people do not have the right type of brain for language learning. They just seem to accept the situation and get on with it.

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4162 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 13 of 14
15 March 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
I'm German but I don't understand it without effort. Just went to Luxemburg this week. In the shops most people speak French anyway. However I wouldn't say it is more than a German dialect. It's merely for political reasons that Luxembourgish is considered a language, which is okay.

leroc
United States
Joined 4106 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 14 of 14
15 March 2013 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
I had a family member who spoke a dialect of German that was very similar to Luxemborgish, she complained that it was an effort to get the people to speak German, according to her "They were proud to show off their French".

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version