dec_lan
United States
Joined 5085 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 7
20 June 2010 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys. I'm trying to learn Mandarin, because my girlfriend is half Chinese and I think it would be cool to try and talk to her in it (though she speaks English perfectly).

So I've been trying to learn it with Rosetta Stone, and I guess I'm making progress. I do it for about an hour a day. I'm also making flash cards.

But it's just SO HARD. I've learned a tiny bit of Spanish and a decent bit of French throughout highschool and going to French speaking countries, and though it's by no means easy, there are at least cognates and I can make all the sounds pretty well.

But learning this Chinese, making the sounds, is just impossible sometimes. I can make the basic sound, but I maul the intonation and stuff. Also, there seem to be like 10 different words with all the same sound. I have so much trouble differentiating the similar sounds (I think I've seen the word 'xie' with different tones in the words for "multiple", "write", and "shoes"). Does anyone have any good advice?

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

lynxrunner
Bilingual Triglot
United States
crittercryptics.com
Joined 5736 days ago

361 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, French
Studies: Russian, Swedish, Haitian Creole

Message 2 of 7
20 June 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
Are you using anything besides Rosetta Stone? Rosetta Stone is essentially a flashcard
program and doesn't teach you grammar from what I've heard, so I don't think you'll be
able to use it to really learn Chinese. I guess you should find some sort of Mandarin
course book.

As for the vocabulary problems, I get you. I feel the same way with Russian. French had
all those cognates which made it very easy for me to get a footing in French... but
Russian doesn't. The only thing to do is keep absorbing vocabulary - it'll never get
easier unless you continue to learn vocabulary.

Tones are something you'll have to get used to. Your girlfriend speaks Mandarin - has
she been helping you with it? There's nothing like having a native speaker around to
correct you, and if you can talk to her in Mandarin (even if it's really basic things
like "How are you?" "Good." "What's your name?"), that's a good thing.

Mandarin is a particularly difficult language for English speakers, so you're not
alone. I understand that you're discouraged, but keep going. You're lucky to have
someone who speaks Mandarin with you - that should be really helpful, especially since
it's your girlfriend.

dec_lan
United States
Joined 5085 days ago

18 posts - 23 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 3 of 7
21 June 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Hmmmm. Yeah, I should probably get a course book. Anyone have suggestions on used, older editions?

Welllll...she's currently on the other side of the country for a couple months, she doesn't get to use the phone too often. I'll definitely be able to talk to her when she gets back, but I only started learning since she left.

NuclearGorilla
Diglot
United States
Joined 6600 days ago

166 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 4 of 7
21 June 2010 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
You could try the FSI Chinese course available at http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Chinese. It's free, so there's really no harm on it.

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5147 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 5 of 7
21 June 2010 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
I surely recommend chinesepod.

johntm93
United States
Joined 5141 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 6 of 7
21 June 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
Michel Thomas explained the tones to me pretty well, they aren't hard at all (once you get the proper instruction)

Asiafeverr
Diglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6156 days ago

346 posts - 431 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese, German

Message 7 of 7
21 June 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged 
I have tried many different programs back when I first learned Chinese and the one that really got me
started was Pimsleur.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version