zekecoma
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
21 June 2010 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I have Michel Thomas German 8CD from the library almost done with the 2nd CD. And can
pretty much remember eveything so far. How far would this get me on the CEFR scale? I'll
be picking up the Advanced set afterwards also.

Edited by zekecoma on 21 June 2010 at 4:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5375 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 2 of 7
21 June 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Not even A1, i'm afraid, but if you finish the Advanced course you'll have a good foundation for getting to B1 quite rapidly. MT doesn't fit into the CEFR criteria as it doesn't teach the 4 'can do' compentences (listening, speaking, reading, writing ) required for the CEFR criteria.

Borrow a conversational course like Pimsleur, Teach Yourself or even Berlitz from the library and you'll be getting into A1-A2 territory.

Also check this out, if you don't already know about it:
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,9572,00.html   & nbsp;

Remember also that according to the CEFR estimates as to the time it takes to get to a level - A1 = about 50-75 hours of learning and A2 = about 200-250 hours. B1 = 200 hours and B2 = 400 hours. MT is giving you (assuming you add in the pause time and some revision of bits you didn't get first time) about 24 hours of tuition.
3 persons have voted this message useful

zekecoma
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 3 of 7
21 June 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Any tips on how to read read complex sentences? I can do so far just sentences like in
English but when it's sentences that shoves the verbs at the End that's where it gets
harder for me? And thank you for the link. Might want to make the link clickable ;)

Cainntear
Pentaglot
Scotland
linguafrankly.blogsp
Joined 5821 days ago

4399 posts - 7687 votes 
Speaks: Lowland Scots, English*, French, Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Studies: Catalan, Italian, German, Irish, Welsh

Message 4 of 7
21 June 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
zekecoma wrote:
Any tips on how to read read complex sentences? I can do so far just sentences like in
English but when it's sentences that shoves the verbs at the End that's where it gets
harder for me?

Don't worry -- by the time you've finished with Michel Thomas, that won't be a problem. Thomas saw verbs as the core element of any language and put a hell of a lot of focus onto teaching them. The verb order thing will be sooooo much easier when you've finished the course.

And I'll echo what Elexi says -- Thomas doesn't work with the CEFR levels because the prevailing school of thought in language teaching is that language should be presented in specific situations and contexts. Thomas disagreed with that view and believed that the common core of grammar and non-specific vocabulary can and should be taught first, and that all the situational stuff will be dead easy to add on top of it.

I like Thomas's courses personally, but you'll still have to do plenty of other stuff after you finish it.

zekecoma
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 5 of 7
21 June 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind doing other stuff afterwards. I'll pick up Pimsleur German from the library
and I also have 3 other books. One book really goes in to business, the suppermarket, etc
( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400021065/ref=oss_product ). I already know the
counting number (I think only up to 30 right now :P) and some of the seasons but not all
of the seasons same with the days of the week (only some)

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5912 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 6 of 7
22 June 2010 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
From personal experience I can tell you that M.T. and Pimsleur go well together.   The one has you crafting complex sentences, but with limited vocabulary. The other gets you started on normal phrases like "Nice to meet you," and "That costs twelve euros." -Oh, and better pronunciation than M.T.; I love the guy, but his pronunciation is a drawback for this course.

Also, regarding the CEFR scale: Pimsleur (among the others mentioned here) will get you started in that A1/A2 direction in the way that M.T. doesn't.

As I've said before, I'm a cheapskate so I urge you to use your local library. A lot. Especially if they have Michel Thomas and Pimsleur and so on. Also, FSI is free and gives you yet another kind/type of learning. I wish my library had all 8 MTs!

zekecoma
Joined 5154 days ago

561 posts - 655 votes 

Message 7 of 7
22 June 2010 at 8:09am | IP Logged 
I thought FSI wasn't worth it since the spelling reform and what not? I'm just going buy
what I have heard.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version