Where to order Arabic newspapers?

Tags: Newspapers | Arabic
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
TheGBiBanana
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Iraqi), Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 6
21 June 2010 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I have seen places selling subcriptions to arabic newspapers for rediculous prices but I have not seen any places that just have a few for sale, I did not find anything on amazon at all. I'm also not really interested in online ones.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fat-tony
Nonaglot
United Kingdom
jiahubooks.co.uk
Joined 5950 days ago

288 posts - 441 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Russian, Esperanto, Thai, Laotian, Urdu, Swedish, French
Studies: Mandarin, Indonesian, Arabic (Written), Armenian, Pali, Burmese

Message 2 of 6
21 June 2010 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
Print media is always expensive; you're best option may be to find a local Arabic paper.
I don't know you are in the US but for comparison there's at least 2 Arabic dailies
published in London. Otherwise try meedan.net which
has MSA articles with their English translations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

TheGBiBanana
United States
Joined 5118 days ago

16 posts - 16 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical), Arabic (Iraqi), Arabic (Written)

Message 3 of 6
22 June 2010 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
I wouldn't mind paying a high price for a paper or two, it's just that the high prices I saw were for subscriptions, for about $1000 per year. I looked on Ebay and I only found a couple of very old newspapers in Arabic, I'm looking for something current.

delta910
Diglot
United States
Joined 5685 days ago

267 posts - 313 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, German

Message 4 of 6
25 June 2010 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
I wouldn't pay for a newspaper subscription since there are tons of online newspapers anyway. Go to
onlinenewspapers.com, click on Asia Middle East, scroll down to the bottom to the Middle East papers and enjoy.
They are up to date newspapers so it's all current issues.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5377 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 5 of 6
25 June 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
The Borders bookstore in my town sells an Arabic newspaper.

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 6 of 6
26 June 2010 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Like Levi said, Borders sells them in some of its stores and so does Waldenbooks (if that is still around in some areas). But the best place is to dig out your phone book and find an Arabic grocery store/community in the city you live; Arabs cannot live without their newspapers, so you will find one somewhere, where there is an Arab community or local hang out. They always have them and sometimes you can find them at Arabic restaurants as well. I know what you mean by the expense but....I have to admit, some of them are just plain price gouging, when they are based in the U.S. lol!

If you happen to see any Arabs out and about, just ask them; they will be glad to tell you where you can get one or may have a copy they haven't thrown away, to give you! It may also be an "in" for you. Most Arabs are overjoyed to know an American is trying to learn their language and they will try their best to help you continue your studies!

:o)

JuJu

Edited by loveroflanguage on 26 June 2010 at 11:13pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version