feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 1 of 59
22 June 2010 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Well, I've been trying out many of the techniques from this site, and I had my first really good study session in a long time. I use to learn Finnish extremely passively, not taking notes during my weekly lesson, and not studying at all during the rest of the week. I just kind of played around with it when I felt like it. But now I'm really beginning to focus on my language studies, and I'm beginning to get real results as well. I've been using Anki for a few days and I'm already seeing some benefits with that. Today, I sat down and did a long session of intensive reading, and I transcribed the entire text using the scriptorium technique and created a hyperliteral translation along with it. I looked up every word I didn't know, and created a flashcard for each one. I also mined most of the sentences into Anki, at least the ones with some interesting grammar. I hope I can have such productive study sessions on a more regular basis, hopefully even daily. Anyway, I'm going to log in this journal to keep me accountable and motivated. That's all for now.
1 person has voted this message useful

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 2 of 59
23 June 2010 at 1:38am | IP Logged 
Well, today I didn't get as much time as I wanted to study. I've managed to keep reading intensively and to translate and look up words, but I'm feeling very saturated at the moment. I feel like I'm hitting a limit to how much vocab I can absorb at one time. So I'm cutting my study session short for the day. Maybe I'll be able to pick it up later, and hit a good groove again. I'm just not in the same space today as I was yesterday. Still, I'm recognizing even more words, and recalling them more quickly, which tells me that at the very least my passive vocabulary is growing. That at the very least is motivating. I'm also trying to get my hands on some other media, such as Finnish movies or TV shows. Still, it's going to be a long process. Hopefully I can keep up my motivation.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 3 of 59
24 June 2010 at 7:30am | IP Logged 
Today has been a pretty good day. I've managed to get a hold of quite a few new resources, like a couple of disney movies. I've kept adding words to my flashcards, but I need to do a bit more sentence mining of the texts I've read in the last couple of days. All in all I haven't had enough time to really read intensively on anything, but I'm pretty sure that what I'm doing is working and I'm excited to keep studying this language intensively. I also made a small study plan of sorts, and I'm hopefully going to get a lot out of my summer. That's all for now.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 4 of 59
25 June 2010 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
So far today has been a pretty big organizational day for me. I've revamped my entire ANKI system after reading some suggestions yesterday. Now it's going to be a really long process of reformatting every card, and it'll take a lot longer to add in new cards in the future, but the added functionality is definitely going to be worth it. I'm inputting the most important noun forms, verb forms, and adjective forms straight into the card model, and I'm creating card templates that drill more specific topics. So it will be as easy as adding a new template and pressing generate cards instead of inputting 2-3 hundred more cards. I'll also be able to review each of my cards as I add them back in, which should help things. Either way, that's taken up most of my afternoon, and I'm not even 1/3 of the way through my whole library. I'm going to pick it back up in the evening, and hopefully the whole thing will be done by tomorrow. However, my brain is a little bit fried right now, so I think an intensive reading session is out of the question today. Still, I'm excited to really get ANKI working for me.

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5056 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 5 of 59
25 June 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Glad to hear you're taking advantage of the awesomeness that is models in Anki! They can be particularly useful with languages where words have a bunch of different forms, and you can quiz on each of them individually rather than lumping piles of information on to one card. I think it's a lot harder to remember all of that stuff at once, and it's a lot harder to gauge "easy" or "hard" or "forgot" when you have 6 things and you remembered 5 of them but didn't quite get the last one.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 6 of 59
25 June 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Yes exactly! I'm still kind of figuring it out, and I'm still putting quite a bit of information on the cards, but now I can at least add different sets of cards for different focuses, and I can trim down the information shown on most of my cards if I need to. But yeah, it's a great tool, and it's certainly worth the time to re-format my deck.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5067 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 7 of 59
26 June 2010 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
Today was pretty busy for me. The study time I had today I spent trying to finish reformatting my Anki deck. I've got about 20 cards to tackle tomorrow, but that's about it now. All in all, I think I can get back to a more intensive study routine once I'm done with this. Anki is definitely the best tool I've found for my personal language learning, but it's also one of the most time consuming, right now anyway. Still, my vocabulary is definitely improving, and simply adding in all the cards again is helping with my recall. This is a definite confidence boost, and I'm hoping that I continue to be as motivated as I have been in the last couple of weeks.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5096 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 8 of 59
26 June 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Just dropped by. I didn't realize you were studying Finnish. If you have questions, please feel free to ask. I'm actually
studying it in the University because I want to teach it as a second language, so I'd be more than happy to help you.

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version