Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 30
22 June 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
This may be controversial but I have put up a new youtube video revealing the secrets of how to Become a Polyglot in Minutes not Years
30 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5226 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 30
22 June 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Cool video. I have heard of the 80-20 rule often before, but it is a lot more interesting when applied to language
learning. :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Tally
Bilingual Diglot
Israel
Joined 5390 days ago

135 posts - 176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Modern Hebrew*
Studies: French

Message 3 of 30
22 June 2010 at 5:58pm | IP Logged 
I love it :D

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5215 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 4 of 30
22 June 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
From the title I just expected a joke, but that's a fantastic video Splog.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5451 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 5 of 30
22 June 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
From the title I just expected a joke, but that's a fantastic video Splog.

Thank you :-)

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5816 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 6 of 30
22 June 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
you need a shave ^_^. it's good apart from that.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5629 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 30
22 June 2010 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I watched your newest video with great interest and it brings a topic I have discussed serveral times with Torbyrne precisely to the point. It's also interesting to get some calculations presented of which input of language learning has to be accumulated.

What stroke me is that in this video you also mention guitar playing and chess playing to compare achievements on these fields with language learning.

I am involved in both fields of interest but I have always disliked studying guitar playing or the chess game. But of course a serious musician should study his/her instrument and a serious chess player should study chess books to be able to reach a certain ELO-level. So my only chance to learn both was to get a practical approach of both fields. But I can say from my personal experience that it's a disadvantage if you dislike the study of some fields of knowledge. So my proficiency in guitar playing and chess playing will always be limited in some way.

With language learining I am in a more fortunate position because I have always liked language study as well as language practice. As a consequence I can achieve much more on this field. This became clear to me quite some years ago. Because I like study of my foreign languages it feels like less work than it really is. With other things I would study for the same amount of time the workload would feel heavier.

In comparison with for example Prof Arguelles, Luca and Torbyrne I am not a person who works with study plans or studies my languages every day for some hours. This of course influences the calculation of time I need for achieving some language goals. I just fit in my language language learning as my other activities allow it during the day. This is very flexible but of course it is less effective than following strict study plans. So I don't care at all about how much time other polyglots need to learn a language up to fluency, because for my personal circumstances and style of learning it's completely irrelevant anyway.

I would also recommend other language learners not to compare their speed of learning with people like Prof Arguelles and others but rather to pick the inspiration out of it.

So thanks again for making such an instructive video! Of course I know the development and ideas of polyglottery because I'm involved in the whole game myself, but such a video makes it more understandable for the general audience.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 22 June 2010 at 10:34pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5109 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 8 of 30
22 June 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I've heard the 10k hours rule and 80/20 rule before, but I never thought about them being applied to languages.
I've heard the 10k hours takes about 10 years for most people. (You just said that in the video after I typed that, my bad.)

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version