Diglot
United States
Joined 6384 days ago

126 posts - 175 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Polish, Latin, French

Message 9 of 14
23 June 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
You could also look into eco volunteering. There are numerous programs that would allow you to work along with the scientists across the globe on
Rainforest wildlife rescue;
Sea Turtle conservation;
Tiger, wolf, bear, etc. conservation programs.

1 person has voted this message useful

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 10 of 14
24 June 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Journeyer, your official goal was intermediate mid by the end of PST in a Spanish speaking country? I was always
under the impression that for French and Spanish speaking countries you had to be much higher than that. That
is the same proficiency level for Romanian in Moldova at the end of PST. Russian was intermediate low. If you
only had to reach intermediate mid by the beginning of service, what were your entry requirements for Peru? I
ask because I have friends here interested in extending to South America but they are worried they don't speak
Spanish well enough.

I'm also interested in your PST language experience. I've heard that a lot of times people who already know a
language get stuck with beginners and the classes are sort of a bust. For me, in Russian, I didn't know a single
word on my first day of class and ended up at Advanced Low at my 8 months in country language interview,
which to me was amazing. In Romanian and Russian, almost all of trainees start as pure beginners and it is
amazing to see the progress after 3 months and 2 years. If you pay attention in class, write down a few words a
day that you don't know, and are committed to your work, the language will come.

To me, the real benefit of learning a language in the PC is the fact that you are learning the language for an
external purpose. I am interested in language and language learning, but nothing can keep you motivated to
keep coming back to a language every single day than work you believe in or somebody you love. In Moldova, I
have a host family I care about and engaging people I enjoy working with. These things keep my language
learning moving forward in a way that I couldn't do on my own.

Last but not least is the the community of PCVs in a country are all in the same boat. In Moldova, whenever
volunteers get together we talk about Romanian and Russian as if they were people. We tell stories about new
nouns we learned and about talk about strange verb usage and encourage each other to improve. It's an
extremely positive type of competition and noone is made to feel bad about his or her progress or language
ability. For language enthusiasts, I couldn't imagine a better environment.

It was interesting to read about your experiences in a Peace Corps country on the other side of the world. I would
love to read more, but I fear we are going to hit a simultaneous period with limited internet access. I hope your
service is going well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6663 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 11 of 14
24 June 2010 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Hi clang,

I'm glad someone out there would understand me if I wrote my post in PC shorthand. ;-)

I really can't answer your question about language requirements better. My friend said he got in with his AP Spanish classes. I think you could get in with 4 years of Spanish in high school or maybe 2 years of Spanish in college. It was too long ago. I do remember their being a requirement though.

To your friends I would say don't worry if they can't speak it. If they took enough classes but don't remember any of it, well, there were people like that in my group as well. That's where the immersion and classes help. They'll probably be at the beginner level but even people who were in that group are doing fine, 22 months later (of course, they were doing fine long before that, I think!)

My official goal wasn't anything by the end of training, language-wise. I already came in knowing enough to pass. However, I was disappointed that I didn't test higher, because I felt like I could have done better. Maybe it was just my pride that was stung. As I said in my other post, my Spanish grammar isn't great, but I can definitely express myself well. That may have been what got me. I do sometimes wonder how they decide their test results. And personally the classes were a bust. I honestly don't feel like I learned anything from then, but I've never really been a fan of language classes, so I'm not surprised. Not to mention our classes weren't very well structured. If I had put the effort into it that I put into studying my French with Anki and things like that, it may have been a different story.

I whole-heartedly agree that the external motivation helps. In some cases the language is enough for me, but thinking about speaking with someone you are dating can fire someone up like few things can. For me, I generally need that help with Spanish. I learned it while an exchange student, but had it not been for the need to know it, I doubt I would have learned it because Spanish doesn't wave my flag like other languages (like German).

It is a wonderful environment based on language merits alone. If you are willing to do the work, and not just study it but actually focus on using it, you will find yourself becoming competent.

It's ironic clang, because when I applied I specifically asked not to go to Eastern Europe, saying it looked too cold and depressing. Now, looking back, I wonder if the region wouldn't have been so bad for me.

That's not to say I haven't valued my experience here, though.

PM me if you want to stay in touch, PCV to PCV and I'll send you my email.

Akao
aka FailArtist
United States
Joined 5131 days ago

315 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Toki Pona

Message 12 of 14
24 June 2010 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
sharedtalk.com - If you have a mic I highly suggest this, it will allow you to become more proficient even if you are at home.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6067 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 13 of 14
28 June 2010 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
Dude. Peace Corps. has a 90% chance of one thing:

No toilet paper.

Think about it.

In some parts of the world, you use a small hose attached to the toilet.

Sometimes, you may just have to dispense with the habits of where you come from, and that might include more than ceasing to speak your native language.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6663 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 14 of 14
01 July 2010 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
We have toilet paper in Peru. The thing that annoys me about public toilets I've found in Mexico and Peru is that sometimes there is no toilet paper so you are always wise to bring your own. But what really drives me crazy is that most of the toilets don't have seats...so you have to sit on the cold rim or hover if you're scared.

Or if you live where I live, you use a latrine that looks like it's getting read uproot itself and crawl away.

But if you are thinking of going into the PC, don't let this scare your. You will be surprised about what you can get used to. It just helps if you are a bit of an adventurous, hardy soul.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version