Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Still really struggling to grasp Korean.

Tags: Korean | Difficulty
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Enki
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5642 days ago

54 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Arabic (Written), English*, French, Korean
Studies: Japanese

Message 9 of 30
23 June 2010 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Po-ru wrote:

I am just wondering if those naver links are English-speaker friendly. I am also
familiar with rikaichan(or something) for Japanese which translates websites for you
from JAP -> ENG. All you do is scroll your mouse over a Japanese word and you have the
English translation right in front of you. Is there anything like that for Korean?

Not very English-friendly, I'm afraid. Naver dictionary is a traditional input type dictionary, but it is very thorough with lots of example sentences. I'm not familiar with any click dictionaries in Korean.

On naver news, some of the news articles are translated to English, and all the major stories have pictures on them, you could start by learning the major news categories to get you browsing (속보= Breaking news 정치= Politics 곙제= Economy 사회=Society 생활/문화= Lifestyle/ Culture 세계= World news).

Naver comics has very little English, but it's very user friendly. The main page has pictures of the comic series that were recently updated, you can just click on that and start reading ;)

Another thing that occurred to me is you can try studying the opposite way. There aren't many English books on learning Korean, but thanks to the ESL craze, there are literally thousands of Korean books on learning English! (sidenote: a lot of those books contain English errors, but I'm assured that the Korean side is OK) You can try 이보영 or books published by 시원스쿨(이시원) which are aimed at very beginners learning basic English vocabulary and sentence constructions. Or browse naver blog using search terms like "English expressions" or "English vocabulary".

Hope this points you to the right direction :) Lack of resources was a major source of frustration for me when I first started learning Korean, so I'm glad to help find resources or answer any questions.
2 persons have voted this message useful

remix
Groupie
Australia
Joined 5477 days ago

41 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean

Message 10 of 30
23 June 2010 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Koreanclass101

Start at beginner, go through the four seasons, then lower intermediate, intermediate, advanced, then the audio blog. There are massive amounts of audio and a new grammar point is introduced each lesson. I like it a lot.

Remember, you aren't supposed to get it after 3 months, it's an entire new language, it takes time.

화이팅!
1 person has voted this message useful

doubledouble
United Kingdom
Joined 5081 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Studies: English

Message 11 of 30
23 June 2010 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
you could try www.talktomeinkorean.com as well, they have videos on youtube broadcasting everyday life in Korea/natural conversations etc.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 12 of 30
23 June 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged 
I'll second the KoreanClass101.com and Talk To Me In Korean. I also _definitely_ recommend the KLEAR textbooks: you may go through them quickly, but they recently did a 2nd edition and I was in a classroom that tested it (one of the new authors taught Korean at a college I previously attended).

It's definitely designed for high school/college students and a classroom environment (only 8 units in the first 1/2 beginner's book, but when you look at 50-60 minute classroom sessions, 1 unit a week with various supporting/additional material is a bit slow, but reasonable), but I think it's well worth the money especially if you can pass it along to friends or resell it once you're done with that unit.

I went through the resource-hunting phase as well, and so I know the feeling of what you're going through!

Po-ru
Diglot
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

173 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Spanish, Norwegian, Mandarin, French

Message 13 of 30
23 June 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice. KoreanClass101.com I cannot find any written materials for the
audio. I only come across audio files. Does anyone have a link to any kinds of written
scripts and grammatical explanations for KoraenClass101.com ?

Thanks

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6279 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 14 of 30
23 June 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
KoreanClass101 has comprehensive transcripts of the dialogs in Korean and English, as
well as summaries of the grammar points, vocabulary lists and so on, but they are in the
PDFs that are only available with a "Basic Membership". This membership also gives you
access to their older lessons; more than 100 lessons of every level from what I can see.
If you intend to actually use their stuff, $4 a month is very cheap for the materials, a
lot better than most textbooks that aren't nearly as comprehensive, never mind Pimsleur.
However, if you just want to test it out, you can get a 7 day free trial membership,
during which you can download as many PDFs, archived lessons or other materials as you
want. Don't do evil.

str0be
Korea, South
Joined 5413 days ago

103 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, Korean

Message 15 of 30
23 June 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
You can't download as many PDFs as you want; I think you can only download 5.

exscribere
Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5088 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 16 of 30
23 June 2010 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
str0be wrote:
You can't download as many PDFs as you want; I think you can only download 5.

I think even possibly at that point, you've got an idea as to whether the program would be something "right" for you, or not. You'll have an idea of what's available and whether it's compatible with your learning style and preferences, and can make the decision to purchase a membership or not. I'm happy with mine, and wishing they'd do a Hindi one! :)

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version