CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5112 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 1
22 June 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

I have been using Assimil: le nouveau russe sans peine (70 lessons) (the downgraded version of the 1971 version) for some 30 days.

At first I did one lesson every two day while studying only 30 minutes. I never have the time to complete one lesson in less than a hour. I did that till lesson 14.

After that I use more time per lesson to be able to do one lesson per day. I am now able to go through the whole lesson in 1h-1h15. For each lesson I listen to the audio one time without reading. Then, I listen to the audio one more time while reading in russian. I listen to the audio another time while reading in russian and pausing after each sentences to read the translation and understand the structure. Finnaly, I listen to the audio while reading, I pause in each sentence and try to pronounce it. I fail or I am not satisfied, I relisten I retry till I got it right. If I am still enable to say it correctly after 10 try, I write it down and I pass to the next sentences.

I also studies in small time amouth from 15 (ideal) to 30 minutes maximum before taking a 5-10 minutes break.

So the questions are:

1- It's normal that it take me so much time to finish a lesson ?

2- Is my study technique adequate or should I make some modifications ?

3- Am I too pefectionist ?

4- It's normal that I find that they are too many grammar notes (often, half the pages) and I am enable to memorize/understand most of them ?

5- On a different matter, what level of Russian can I acquire with this book ?

I know that there's always a ton of thread about Assimil but I found my questions to be relativly specific and I didn't find any good answers.

Thanks you for reading and helping me out.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version