11 messages over 2 pages: 1
maaku
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 9 of 11
30 June 2010 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
I've used Assimil and the Living Language series for German, and I would absolutely recommend Assimil (the old, pre-1980 course if you can get it). I wouldn't use Rosetta Stone even if it was free.

Then what doviende said.
1 person has voted this message useful

Guido
Super Polyglot
ArgentinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6338 days ago

286 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Catalan, Dutch, Swedish, Danish
Studies: Russian, Indonesian, Romanian, Polish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 11
30 June 2010 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Yep, definetly Assimil. It's the best

Btw, after Assimil, besides reading books, listening to the radio and watching tv, you should to practice grammar, here are
the 3 best books I've found and used for that:
1. EM Übungsgrammatik - Deutsch als Fremdsprache (ISBN: 3-19-001657-7)
2. Lehr- und Übungsbuch der deutschen Grammatik (ISBN: 3-19-007255-8)
3. Übungsgrammatik - Deutsch als Fremdsprache für Fortgeschrittene (ISBN: 3-19-00-7448-8)

I'd say the 1. is a must. Basic grammar, many exercises and it's not tedious. The second it's for upper-intermediate, you
should try it if you wanna speak the language fluently. The third is advanced, very advanced... it's not really needed.

If you live in Brazil, you should visit the SBS bookstores. They sell language-related books
and have simplified literature in many levels for English, Italian, French, Spanish and German (and Portuguese, of course).

Hope it helps!

Have a nice day!
Guido.-
2 persons have voted this message useful

maaku
United States
Joined 5384 days ago

359 posts - 562 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 11
30 June 2010 at 8:10am | IP Logged 
There's an online grammar guide that's pretty good, and free:

http://tltc.la.utexas.edu/gg/

I recommend reading it after Assimil, then jumping straight into native materials.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version