United States
wanderlustwhispers.wRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5124 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 1 of 7
23 June 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I've been working with FSI Spanish for a few weeks now and I'm a bit frustrated. I've given up on Programmatic as it's so dull it's unbearable for me. I'm continuing with Basic but find the drills incredibly boring and sometimes confusing(although I still do them). Lately I've been doing about a unit per week focusing on the vocabulary of each unit, replaying the dialogue over and over and making flashcards of the new words. Can someone please tell me the best way to approach this Basic Course? How much time should I spend per unit? How essential are the drills? Any input on this course is greatly appreciated..
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6917 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 2 of 7
23 June 2010 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
I think you need to decide if the FSI way of learning is actually for you...

A search on this site will find some polarised opinion on its effectiveness. Some find the drilling useless, boring and ineffective, others essential. Personally, I think it's down to learning style. I fall somewhere in the middle, so I have used FSI (in my case Platiqeumos) drills to improve areas of weakness and found them extremely effective.

For the drills, I have one simple rule - when it's done, it's done. If I do a drill flawlessly without (apparent) thought or hesitation, I move on. I see no point in doing it 17 times, if I got it the first.

You might want to take a look at Assimil.

msmamba
United States
Joined 5124 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes

Message 3 of 7
23 June 2010 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Thank you! I haven't considered the issue of learning styles and now think my learning style may not "mesh" with FSI drills at all. I think I will try it once more while definitely taking a look at the Assimil program. Thanks again!

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5119 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 4 of 7
24 June 2010 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
I did most of FSI Basic in a straight forward way.. simply going through the drills and repeated them if I had trouble. Looking back I thought the tense and person-number substitution drills were very helpful as they seemed to drill conjugations and grammar into my head. The dialogue drills were okay as they helped your phrasing and pronunciation (although many of the speakers spoke too fast) although now I would approach the dialogues in an Assimil way. I did find the dialogue drills useful in the car as long as I knew what the material meant beforehand.

msmamba
United States
Joined 5124 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes

Message 5 of 7
24 June 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response plaidchuck! Also can you explain what the "Assimil way" is. I have yet to purchase the Assimil course but I'm definitely interested.

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5119 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 6 of 7
24 June 2010 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Basically for me it's reading the English translation, then listening to the dialogue while reading the English translation, and finally reading the dialogue in Spanish while listening. I do this as many times as necessary and also shadow sometimes for more difficult passages.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6086 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 7 of 7
30 June 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I copied out by hand the entire glossary of FSI Saudi Arabic into a notebook. It took a while, as it contains c. 950 entries. However, it is likely to come in handy in future for revision purposes.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version