Scoobs
United Kingdom
Joined 5473 days ago

27 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian

Message 1 of 5
23 June 2010 at 1:40am | IP Logged 
Basically I'm just looking for new and effective ways to retain vocabulary. I started Spanish a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it. The way I've been learning new vocab is just by writing it down, copying it out over and over again. Not very fun, and I don't think I'll remember it that well. I tend to get very lazy with flashcards and never bother with them but even when I do, I don't really learn much from them. I've been studying Persian for four and a half years and remembering vocab has always been an issue.
1 person has voted this message useful

budonoseito
Pro Member
United States
budobeyondtechnRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5615 days ago

261 posts - 344 votes 
Studies: French, Japanese
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
23 June 2010 at 2:56am | IP Logged 
Get some readers, children's books or some bilingual texts. Expanding your vocabulary
through context works much better for me.

Here are some bilingual texts:
Bilingual Spanish-English

johntm93
United States
Joined 5137 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 3 of 5
23 June 2010 at 5:40am | IP Logged 
Real life flash cards or a flashcard program (Anki).
I use the program, but I really need to make some physical ones to carry around with me.
Make sure to review the word a lot so it can get into your passive vocab.

¡buena suerte!

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 4 of 5
23 June 2010 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
I've been using a flashcard program, Anki in particular, for the last little while, and it's really helping me so far. It's much easier than carrying physical flashcards around, but it works best if you can review every day or they'll really start to pile up. But the good thing is you'll keep reviewing all the words for quite some time, which is great for long-term retention. However, learning in context is also essential. This is good to get a rough understanding and to grow your vocabulary, but reading texts, listening to radio, watching movies, and talking to people is your best bet to really grow your active vocabulary and understand the words in context.

loveroflanguage
Groupie
United States
Joined 5176 days ago

57 posts - 83 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Arabic (Egyptian)

Message 5 of 5
24 June 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I know this may not sit right with everyone or may seem rather silly advice but it works. You just have to try to make it fun! While I know that flashcards are not the funnest (yeah, I know its not great grammar! lol) thing in the world but you really should use them. I make mine fun by coloring them by subjects, objects, grammer, put stickers on them, etc. and listen to childrens songs. They are cute and help with memorizing, as well. Here's the silly part: make up a song for your toughest vocabulary words. I know that it sounds silly but that is also WHY you will remember them! And besides, you are the only one thats gonna hear it anyway! You will feel silly in the beginning but remember and retain words, in the end!

Also, one thing that my teacher said to us and works really well, is the best learners, think in the language than trying to remember; meaning, when you are doing something, going somewhere and you have thoughts/dialog to yourself, substitute every word you can with the learning language. Instead of thinking, "wow, its a beautiful day today", think of as many words you can, in Spanish. I am doing that now and after a few months, you will be surprised at the difference in your retention because your mind will automatically go there by itself and surprise you. Good luck!

Edited by loveroflanguage on 24 June 2010 at 11:06am

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version