Groupie
United States
Joined 6166 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Sign Language, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Greek, Georgian, Indonesian

Message 41 of 69
27 June 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Iverson- Albanian is not so bad. I also didn't find Armenian to be much trouble- the alphabet takes some getting used to, but even that isn't so bad after a while. Greek is moderate in my opinion.

The Slavic languages are quite nasty- I've tangled with Polish for five years now and still find myself tripping over grammar when reading books. I've glanced only briefly at Lithuanian and Latvian and they seem similarly complex.

Of the Celtic tongues, I've been engaged in an ongoing battle with Welsh for some time, and am always thoroughly confused; and Irish pronunciation is so bewildering that I never even got to the grammar.

Persian is simple, but the writing system is a handful. I've never studied Hindi, but I had a go at Bengali and it was a bit frightening.

I'd vote for the Slavic and Celtic family as being most difficult, with an edge to the latter.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Merv
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 5055 days ago

414 posts - 749 votes 
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 42 of 69
27 June 2010 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
Bengali is easier than Slavic in my view. I don't know about Celtic, but I've heard the Brythonic branch is especially
hard. Don't know if that's true. Ancient Greek was a brutally difficult language but modern Greek is much simpler.
It's main difficulty lies in iotation and knowing how to spell things.
1 person has voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5090 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 43 of 69
28 June 2010 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Zorrillo wrote:
I'd vote for the Slavic and Celtic family as being most difficult, with an edge to the latter.
I think the Ugro-Finnic family certainly belongs there as well. I don't know why it has not been discussed as thourougly in this thread as the Slavic family.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5924 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 44 of 69
28 June 2010 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
Derian wrote:
Zorrillo wrote:
I think the Ugro-Finnic family certainly belongs there as well. I don't know why it has not been discussed as thourougly in this thread as the Slavic family.

The Ugro-Finnic languages are not Indo-European. They're Ugro-Finnic.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Derian
Triglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5090 days ago

227 posts - 464 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Czech, French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 45 of 69
28 June 2010 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
The Ugro-Finnic languages are not Indo-European. They're Ugro-Finnic.
Oh, snap :) Indeed.
I was constantly thinking about European Languages.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 69
28 June 2010 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
.. but what about the Baltic languages (Latvian, Lithuanian)?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5122 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 47 of 69
29 June 2010 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
Euphorion wrote:
Definitely Czech

In my opinion Polish is harder than Czech. Pronunciation is more difficult, the verbal system is slightly more complex, given that verbs have endings for each person in the past, not to mention the change in roots which occur in some verbs in the virile and non-virile forms. And the number system is also more complex. Numbers change according to whether they refer to nouns which are animate or non animate, virile or non virile and mixed gender.

Well in my opinion, its exactly the other way round - Czech is much more difficult than Polish. It has exactly all the stuff you just mentioned (verbs have endings for each person in the past, not to mention the change in roots which occur in some verbs in the virile and non-virile forms. Numbers change according to whether they refer to nouns which are animate or non animate, virile or non virile and mixed gender.) + present and past principle, a very hard ortography (mně/mě, y/i, z/s/vz, ...), not only singular and plural numbers but also remainders of the dual number, the usage of past perfect and many many other things...

As I stated elsewhere, "Czech is the Rolls Royce of the Slavonic languages, and a star player in the Indo-European linguistic league. Czech is so rich, precise and, unfortunately, also complicated that a foreigner trying to learn the language may be driven to suicide. Either because he or she never manages to learn it, or because of the utter depression that follows when the foreigner realizes how primitive his or her own mother tongue is." (Terje B. Englund)

ChristianVlcek
Bilingual
Netherlands
Joined 5633 days ago

131 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Slovak*, Ukrainian, Irish, German, Russian

Message 48 of 69
29 June 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Euphorion, that being said of Czech, how would you compare it to Slovak? (I've grown up outside of Slovakia, so I have no Czech exposure, and have never looked into Czech grammar or anything.)

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version