Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 9 of 16
24 June 2010 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
I've spent hours editing my deck and haven't had courage to test it yet. It seems like I was able to put all my
decks
together, add new meaningfull tags and change all the models. Only thing I can't figure out right now is how to
delete obsolete tags. Also I haven't quite figured out all the different terms and ways to filter and sort stuff.

I dont speak computerish so I avoid using feanarosurions formatting, instead I created separate models and
within
them fields for all the things I want to learn. I have no idea how it will work or if it is what I wanted, but now it's
done like this.

Oh, and I have all my old decks, just in case this change was a disaster.

Thank you all for your advice and support.

Edited by chirel on 24 June 2010 at 9:05pm

1 person has voted this message useful

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5080 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 10 of 16
25 June 2010 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
To delete old tags, go to your deck, Browse Items (ctrl-f), and you can just select all of the cards (ctrl-a), and press the "delete tags" button in the menu bar of the browser (looks kind of like a price tag with an X on it--NOT the one that's just an X), and then type in the tags that are obsolete.

Oh, and good job working on changing your own deck! It's always confusing the first time around, but once you figure it out it makes things a lot better!

Edited by fielle on 25 June 2010 at 1:00am

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 11 of 16
25 June 2010 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
Sorry if I used too much jargon. On the Card Templates tab, next to the General & Fields tab, you choose what shows up on the questions and answers. If you haven't tested out your changes yet, you might not see all the new information. You need to add it in manually. You might have all the fields you need, but you need to put them into a template. Sorry again if you already knew that, but I'm doing almost the same thing as you at this point, so hopefully you might be able to use this.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 

Message 12 of 16
25 June 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Thanks fielle, I didn't realise I needed to choose something. I'll try that soon.

Feanarosurion, thanks, I think I've done what you described, but I'm not absolutely sure. On my deck nouns have
two fields and adjectives three. I've also managed to disable all reversed cards and create a card type that has the
first field as question and the third field as answer (for adjectives). Does this sound like I'm doing it right?

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 13 of 16
26 June 2010 at 2:18am | IP Logged 
Yeah you're going in the right direction anyway. You can basically do this with any combination to be honest. Reverse cards are actually pretty much just another combination, so you don't need to disable them if you don't want to. But then again, if you don't need them, you can feel free to disable it. Basically just do whatever is useful to you in all honesty. The only thing you need to make sure is that the information is showing up on the cards themselves. For that you just go into the browser, and then you can see all the information that's going to show up on the cards. You can also sort by card model which makes it easy to find a specific type. Either way though, it sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Now just do whatever works for you!

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 

Message 14 of 16
26 June 2010 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
Thanks, now I've been wondering about one more thing. I liked having separate deck, because that way I had
control over what types of words I would be reviewing, can I have that with one deck? I was thinking of every day
marking about twenty words with "priority very high", and then those would come up that day (or the next day). Is
there an easier way to do this? Also if I do that I would have to change all existing very high priorities, would that
change how often the old words with that priority come out? Or would changing their priority even affect them at
all, or would they now be shown according to a preset algorithm?

Questions, questions...

fielle
Diglot
Groupie
Japan
maliora.com
Joined 5080 days ago

53 posts - 69 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 15 of 16
26 June 2010 at 11:21am | IP Logged 
What did you like about studying only one type of word at once? In my mind, you'll always be interacting with all varieties of words all at once!

However, you can always limit things using Settings->Active Tags.

chirel
Triglot
Finland
Joined 5120 days ago

125 posts - 159 votes 

Message 16 of 16
26 June 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
I use Anki to learn inflections. So in one card I have the four forms for nouns or three forms for adjective inflection
or comparison, for verbs I have the theme forms. This way I can automatise the inflections in my head. There's a
limited number of different kinds of inflections in Swedish (Very much unlike in Finnish nouns, where there seems
to be endless amounts of inflection paradigms.) So seeing similar words behave similarly I will not have to think
about the inflection so much later on, there will be an automated response to certain endings or vowel/syllable
patterns.

I do other things to mix the words and try to remember when to use each form, like writing in Lang-8. In my
opinion Anki is a very mechanical tool and suits best for mechanical learning. (But of course, I still haven't used it
for long, and I'm not familiar with all the things one can do with it.)

Edited by chirel on 26 June 2010 at 12:43pm

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version