Groupie
Canada
Joined 5963 days ago

85 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish, German

Message 1 of 3
26 June 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I have been trying to use Anki to develop my listening skills by using clips of native speakers saying words, phrases and short sentences. I'm hoping this will help form a good base for more advanced work with radio, TV, conversations, etc.

One of the small problems I have had is the number of homophones (in French especially). Often using a word in a short sentence gives enough context, but not always. My workaround is a separate details field that displays with the answer and includes a list of homophones. (As an aside, this is also a good place to record other information such as gender for nouns that begin with vowel sounds.) That way, even if I get the answer "wrong", I can see that my answer was valid and it reinforces the other possible words that match the same sound.

So, has any one done much aural study using Anki (or another flashcard program)? Do you have suggestions or warnings about potential problems?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Kary on 26 June 2010 at 4:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Heinrich S.
Groupie
Germany
Joined 6750 days ago

63 posts - 85 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 3
29 June 2010 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
I actually use Anki for French. The issue you're having, IMO, is not homophones, but difficulty in picking up
nuances
of sound. I used to have trouble discerning the verb "to read" from the noun "bed." Now, I always catch the
distinction. It might be context, but who knows.

I used to have the same issue with Mandarin and tones, but now those invisible distinctions are so obvious, and I
had the same issue with French. I'm speaking from my own personal experience.

I don't know how much benefit you will get from paying attention to homophones: you are seeking fluency, and
so,
being aware words sound the same will come naturally over time. If they are really hard to figure out, the
problem
lies in the phrase/sentence (context) or the audio/speaker quality. I would recommend making sure to have
greater exposure to the homophones that get you, but that too, will happen over time.

Now, "False Friends" MIGHT be worth spending time knowing (but IMO, no, they are not).

Edited by Heinrich S. on 29 June 2010 at 6:02am

1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5333 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 3 of 3
30 June 2010 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I study audio→meaning for single words, and Japanese has a ton of homonyms (many do
differ by pitch mind you) so I had this problem too. I also have example sentences for
each word though, including audio, so what I do is listen to the audio of the word
first, and if I can remember multiple possible meanings, but am not sure which one is
correct, I hit a key and the audio for the sentence plays, which serves as a hint for
the correct meaning. A plugin is needed for this to work though.

A non-audio based hint can be done without a plugin based on post 7 in this thread:

http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=21596&PN=1&TPN=1

If I was testing audio→english without having audio of the example sentence, I would
do either:
A) Put a list of the homonyms that aren't the answer in the hint field. So when I came
to a troublesome question I'd think of all the possible answers to the question, hit
the hint, and then remove all the ones listed in the hint from the ones I came up with.
If there's only one remaining, then I got it right.
B) Put whatever grammatical information is necessary to distinguish the correct answer.
So if there's a word which could be masculine or feminine say, but the audio doesn't
make that clear and either word would work, then the hint would have the gender.

Edited by Akalabeth on 01 July 2010 at 3:50am

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version