Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

ENGRISH: Funny? Politically Insensitive?

Tags: Error | Joke | English
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 17 of 25
30 June 2010 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Declan1991 wrote:
I often pity the people who think that mistakes by people who don't speak a language or only poorly are "social torts" or xenophobia. Firstly, if I tattooed nonsense onto my arm in a foreign language, I would accept native language speakers to laugh at me, equally for the misunderstanding of idioms (fits inside etc.). Secondly, it's interesting that you use the term xenophobia. I'm not attacking you personally for it, you just happen to be the one that brought it up. To say that laughing at the misuse of the English language is xenophobic is another misunderstanding of xenophobic, a mistake far funnier to me given that it's native speakers coming up with that nonsense.
I'd like to see the logic behind someone who thinks it's xenophobic. I agree, it's all in good fun, it doesn't mean I'm afraid of foreigners (actually the opposite, just like pretty much everyone else on this forum).
1 person has voted this message useful

cameroncrc
Diglot
United States
Joined 6326 days ago

195 posts - 185 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Ukrainian

Message 18 of 25
01 July 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I find it funny. Seeing a sign in a toilet that says "Please stay seated during the entire performance" would be hilarious to anybody. It has nothing to do with being insensitive. While in Japan some of my friends ask me to translate the English written on their shirts, and when they find out what it means they laugh too!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sandman
Diglot
United States
Joined 5217 days ago

168 posts - 389 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 19 of 25
03 July 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I've had a song from the anime Bleach stuck in my head the last few days named "Sky Chord".

It's an okay song, but mostly it's been trapped in my head since I seriously have no idea what a sky chord is, and how it makes any sense whatsoever in the context it's used. I think the language-learning part of my brain has been trying to decipher it, and since it's impossible, the wheels in my brain just keep spinning. It's haunting my subconscious. I can't ... get ... it ... out ....

socks
Triglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5074 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Telugu, Hindi*
Studies: French

Message 20 of 25
04 July 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Are you kidding me? Xenophobia? I laugh at people who make hilarious mistakes in English
in my own country!

g.polskov
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5061 days ago

37 posts - 50 votes
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese

Message 21 of 25
09 July 2010 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I have been to a restaurant that had written "welcome" in many different languages on their door, not a single one without mistakes. I do not remember them all, but included at least English, Spanish, french, Italian and German. They had wellcom, but the funniest I thought was their french attempt... acceil.

Which not only is misspelled, but means welcome only as a noun. Sort of like reception.

Oz_Andy
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5127 days ago

7 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, German

Message 22 of 25
10 July 2010 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Personally I don't consider that sort of thing funny.....hilarious, perhaps, but I don't think *funny* does some of the better ones justice. Of course, given the status of English as the major global target language, it's inevitable that we're provided with plenty of great examples from which to choose. Had the Germans conquered the world, they'd now be laughing at all of the mistakes made by foreigners in their language...well, maybe not laughing, but...ok I'll stop.

There may also be a positive, practical side to all of this. Consider, for instance, the classic "Not to perambulate the corridors in the hours of repose in the boots of ascension" posted in an Austrian Ski Lodge. Now, if that had been written in direct, plain English, it would have had a high chance of being ignored. Writing it in mangled, auto-translate English, however, makes the otherwise ordinary, rather unforgettable! Then there are the deliberately eye-catching restaurant inventions Thai Phoon, Thai Tanic, etc...

I honestly don't think political insensitivity is an issue here; Engrish is just the inevitable result of attempts at translation for which adequate resources were either unavailable or not consulted.

If indeed I do have one fear in all of this, it is as follows: with the increase in both the sophistication of internet translation tools, as well as the general level of English around the world, Engrish will become increasingly endangered, thus decreasing the potential for raucous laughter and with it, life expectancy. Food for thought...
2 persons have voted this message useful

johntm93
United States
Joined 5136 days ago

587 posts - 746 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 23 of 25
10 July 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Oz_Andy wrote:

If indeed I do have one fear in all of this, it is as follows: with the increase in both the sophistication of internet translation tools, as well as the general level of English around the world, Engrish will become increasingly endangered, thus decreasing the potential for raucous laughter and with it, life expectancy. Food for thought...
I'm now paranoid about this

furrykef
United States
furrykef.com/
Joined 6281 days ago

681 posts - 862 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, Latin, Italian

Message 24 of 25
11 July 2010 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Oz_Andy wrote:
with the increase in both the sophistication of internet translation tools

What increase? Computers are never going to be decent at translating until they achieve intelligence. That's because language simply requires intelligence to parse correctly. Too much depends on context, and to understand the context, you must... well... understand it.

Edited by furrykef on 11 July 2010 at 9:08am

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version