Polyglot skyping

Language Learning Forum : Polyglots Post Reply
Torbyrne
Super Polyglot
Macedonia
SpeakingFluently.com
Joined 5891 days ago

126 posts - 721 votes 
Speaks: French, English*, German, Spanish, Dutch, Macedonian, Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, Czech, Catalan, Welsh, Serbo-Croatian
Studies: Sign Language, Toki Pona, Albanian, Polish, Bulgarian, TurkishA1, Esperanto, Romanian, Danish, Mandarin, Icelandic, Modern Hebrew, Greek, Latvian, Estonian

Message 1 of 7
28 June 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I have been on this forum for a while now and I have been fortunate to talk with some of you in threads and on Skype too. It's been great to get to know other like-minded people and I am grateful for the opportunity. We all know that a passion for languages amongst people in the real world is tough to find. It is even more difficult to talk to other polyglots on a regular basis.

At the moment I have regular chats with some polyglots I have met through YouTube and this forum and I would like to take this opportunity to see what interest there is in extending this further. I am aware there are polyglots out there who have stated their stance on speaking with others over Skype, but I still extend this invitation to those persons also.

If you feel you would like to practice a number of languages in one conversation, then please reply to this thread and get in touch. I am not sure how practical it is for a huge group of people chatting, but we could certainly explore getting into groups to speak multiple languages every now and then.

I am fortunate in that I do get to use a lot of languages on a daily basis anyway. That said, I have seen the benefit in talking to people in multiple languages in one conversation over the past year since I started doing this. This is an idea that does not need to be kept to polyglots per se as people with a couple of languages in common could do a similar thing.

My focus is on using what we are here to discuss and study and I would like to move forward with this. Speaking a language will help to maintain it if you have not got the time to study. It is amazing how a little oil makes those cogs run that bit faster!

This is a chance for serious language learners, wishing to speak to each other on Skype, to practice what they know. It should be done with no fear, no judgement and plenty of encouragement.

Look forward to hearing from you with your thoughts on this and hopefully making some more Skype polyglot friends! :)

All the best,

Richard
6 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 7
28 June 2010 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
For me it is a fascinating experience speaking several languages in one Skype conversation and it's even possible to do this with a small group of people in a conference call. The only requirement is that you have languages in common and a level of communication in those languages. Of course among polyglots you have more languages to choose but it also works well with normal language students who maybe speak 3-4 languages.

A good Skype exchange will create a win-win situation where all participants can offer some language skills and for this receive some language training of other languages. In such a case it's a successful combination, if I for example offer Esperanto-practise to Torbyrne and get for example Spanish conversation as an exchange. But of course when polyglots meet up on Skype, then more languages are involved than only a pair of two languages.

I would also encourage people for such a project, because according to my own experience it's very effective language practise and it's a lot of fun and a good amendment to the normal study routine of learning the vocabulary, doing listening exercises, .... and other activities which you are doing on your own.

So give it a try, I would say, and make your own experience with it!

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 June 2010 at 8:03pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ronp
Heptaglot
Australia
ronpeek.blogspo
Joined 5890 days ago

33 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Flemish, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Norwegian, Mandarin, Esperanto, Finnish, Macedonian, Hindi, Greek, Indonesian, Lithuanian, Basque, Portuguese, Russian, Arabic (Written), Sign Language
Studies: Turkish, Swahili

Message 3 of 7
30 June 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I would be up for giving it a try. I also think that training in the ability
to switch between various languages is quite useful. It is one thing to be able
to converse at length in another language, but switching between them is a
different story (quite a funny one as well, at times!), although that might be
more of a personal goal for me.

Ron

2 persons have voted this message useful

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6112 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 4 of 7
09 July 2010 at 8:38am | IP Logged 
Have you considered perhaps advertising this on YouTube? I imagine you'd be even more likely to find people interested in this. If only I were capable in more languages, this is something I would most certainly be up for!
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5643 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 7
09 July 2010 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
ChristopherB wrote:
Have you considered perhaps advertising this on YouTube? I imagine you'd be even more likely to find people interested in this. If only I were capable in more languages, this is something I would most certainly be up for!

This is perhaps an idea. With polyglot skyping it's always important that some languages are involved which the polyglots themselves want to improve. Torbyrne already speaks German and French on a native level.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 09 July 2010 at 9:34am

ChristopherB
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 6112 days ago

851 posts - 1074 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*, German, French

Message 6 of 7
09 July 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I understand. I'd rather it be like that, as you say, with at least one language I'm more capable in than the person I'm talking to, so I can help them improve. This isn't the case at the moment, so it would probably end up being more one-sided with me as the "language burden".

One day, though!

Sveju
Pentaglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5229 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German, Italian, Greek
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Japanese, Serbo-Croatian

Message 7 of 7
18 December 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Hi, I would be up for speaking with other polyglots on Skype as well. I already use Skype a lot to improve my speaking skills. However, most of the people I talk to are not as interested in foreign languages as I am, even if they may claim they are in their profiles on languages websites. So I would definitely enjoy talking to other polyglots.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version