tracker465
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 15
29 June 2010 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
I am trying to place the following English accent of the man in this audio clip, but cannot seem to do so. Any ideas as to what sort of accent that is?

http://www.zshare.net/download/777583567453d897/
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5889 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 15
29 June 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged 
This sounds like it's from that site with a big collection of accents, can't remember the
name of it right now. I believe that site always tells you the accent of the speaker
though? Where did you get this file?

In any case, I'd say it sounds either German or eastern European, although I'm not really
sure.

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5395 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English, Norwegian*
Studies: Indonesian, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 15
29 June 2010 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Dutch or Danish? This is a fun game, do you have more?

tracker465
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 

Message 4 of 15
30 June 2010 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Unfortunately I don't have any more samples. Since I only received two responses/guesses, I will come clean on the matter I guess. I hope that you guys will not be too mad at me for this ;)

I actually made the recording of myself speaking, and just based it on the text read by the people on the other website which has dozens of speakers and accents.

For about six or seven years, people have been telling me that I have some sort of a foreign accent. Many people think that I am from Europe, primarily Germany or Britain, when I first speak with them. In May, for example, my waiter on the cruise I took (from Romania) thought I was from Germany. One day when I used to work a retail job, a British woman swore I was from Britian! Even some of my Spanish and English professors at the university have inquired about my peculiar accent.

I just wanted the audio to be anonymous initially, because I didn't want to unconsciously skew the guesses/results. I hope that you guys aren't too upset with me for this, I really do appreciate your help and input!

My parents attribute this accent to the fact that I study German, although people have been telling me about this accent since before I even began to study German! The thing is so strange, especially since I was born and raised in a small town in the United States, and no one else in my family has an accent.
1 person has voted this message useful

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5395 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 

Message 5 of 15
30 June 2010 at 8:05am | IP Logged 
This is stupid.

tracker465
United States
Joined 5162 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 

Message 6 of 15
30 June 2010 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Yeah it may be stupid, but it is the way I naturally talk. I am still trying to pinpoint this accent though, it is definitely not from my state or area.

One day in New York City, a woman got angry at me at a bar for not admitting that I was from Germany, despite the fact that I was born in America to 100% American parents.

For these kinds of reasons I am curious as to what sort of accent it is.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 15
30 June 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
Yeah it may be stupid, but it is the way I naturally talk.

In that case you might be suffering from a mild case of a rare condition called Foreign accent syndrome, which is often caused by head injuries.

justberta
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5395 days ago

140 posts - 170 votes 

Message 8 of 15
30 June 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
I mean it's stupid that you want to trick your foreign polyglot.
Anyway, people usually think I am from the U.S. I can have them fooled if I want to. I
don't fool people though, makes me feel guilty for lying. Just once, I fooled a German
guy who had lived in the U.S into believing I was from there. I kept saying I'm not from
the States but he said "Don't be embarrassed, just tell me" As if though i was an
American hiding my Californian or wherever it would be worse to come from heritage. He
had lived in the States for a year but his English was horrible. I have never lived in an
English speaking environment so that made my day.
In Norwegian I don't have an American accent though, but I DO like speaking Spanish with
an American accent, English with eastern European accent, and Indonesian with German and
British is downright hilarious.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version