feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 9 of 13
29 June 2010 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I might try to work out the hint thing, but only if it becomes too big an issue. Is there any way to link two facts? As in, is there any way to link the two synonymous facts so that I can include all the synonyms in the answer to the English -> Finnish side? If not, what I might do is make individual cards for all of them, but put all synonyms in the main field that shows up on the English -> Finnish card in brackets. Then I'll just try to remember all of them. Again, if there are two words that are synonyms generally, but one has an additional meaning, then I'll remember it by the additional meaning instead.
1 person has voted this message useful

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5329 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 10 of 13
30 June 2010 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
The hint thing isn't that difficult to set up on a technical level. You just paste the
code into the question side of the template you're using, and replace EnglishHint with
the name of whatever field has the hint you want. You'd need to remove the line breaks
though, this forum seems to insert them in the middle of posts for some reason. I see
'block' got cut into 'bloc' and 'k'. Setting up useful hints can be annoying though. I
find example sentences to be the least ambiguous, but it's not perfect. I got all my
cards from a premade spreadsheet, which saved a lot of time since the sentences were
already included.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 11 of 13
30 June 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Oh, OK, I understand now. I thought it linked to a separate document. That makes sense now though. My only issue is finding sentence examples for all these words. If I could do that though, I could not only use those sentences as hints, but for sentence mining as well. Should I just google the word I want an example of? Or search it on the Finnish wikipedia? Are there other ways of finding these sentences? The reason I'm asking is that many of the words I'm using don't come with very good examples, sometimes just one, so I'd end up using one sentence for quite a few words. I'll think about this though.

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5329 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 12 of 13
30 June 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
You could try an online Finnish dictionary, as it should have a unique sentence for each
word. At the very least, it would be a quick way to find them, since I would think every
word in the dictionary would have an example sentence included, even if some of them are
repeated. Also has the benefit of being grammatically correct.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 

Message 13 of 13
30 June 2010 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Ah, that's exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much! I found a website that looks like it has good examples for almost everything, so that's a plus. I'll probably combine it with some resources, but that's for sure what I was looking for thanks!

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version