Ireland
Joined 5226 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 53
04 July 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
For Spanish and German, one possible source of news items with transcripts is this site:
http://www.euronews.net/.
Movies with subtitles in the target language can be helpful, even though the text won't always follow the spoken
version exactly.

Euronews is great for that. I can also recommend this service from Deutsche Welle: world.de/dw/0,,8030,00.html">http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,80 30,00.html. Does anyone know of
equivalent services for French and Spanish?

I plan on watching Amélie with French subtitles tonight, as I have huge difficulties with spoken French (like
listening to Europe 1). :/

Edited by brian91 on 04 July 2010 at 7:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6221 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 10 of 53
04 July 2010 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
Has anyone experience this, and is this too a matter of getting more exposure?
The first highly inflected language you learn is bound to be difficult. Russian has a relatively free word order while all the other languages you have learned don't, hence the difficulty. I think you have to start simple, and work your way up. Practice simple sentences over and over again until the right case in natural, and then start to get harder.

Aineko
Triglot
New Zealand
Joined 5230 days ago

238 posts - 442 votes 
Speaks: Serbian*, EnglishC2, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 11 of 53
04 July 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
I'n my experience, the best way to start overcoming this problem is to listen to native's
natural speed speech while reading the transcript. The best database I know for this is
lingq (has a lot of content for 10 languages) and if you are just doing listening and
reading it is totally free.

Next thing I did, after about a month of reading while listening to natural speech, was
to start watching TV serials in Spanish, but I tried to choose ones that had quite few
episodes. The reason for this is that it may take you few episodes to get used to the way
actors speak, but once you do, you start understanding literally everything - jokes, swearing... :)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Tyr
Sweden
Joined 5564 days ago

316 posts - 384 votes 
Studies: Swedish

Message 12 of 53
05 July 2010 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
This is my biggest problem too.
I process what I'm hearing, "OK, that word means that and that word means this..." but this goes far slower than I'm heairng and then there's pressure and...yeah. I just can't do it.

Watching stuff with subtitles doesn't work too well for me. I find myself just reading the subtitles and ignoring the speach as with watching a film in a language I don't know with English subtitles.

Edited by Tyr on 05 July 2010 at 6:45pm

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5479 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 13 of 53
05 July 2010 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

Maybe my brain isn't as fast anymore; I am over thirty.

This will be the reason, for sure, I can know it being 71. ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tracker465
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

355 posts - 496 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 14 of 53
05 July 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
For me, I primarily use(d) movies with subtitles, music, coupled with the occassional audio book or hour of Deutsche Welle, if I happened to be awake at that time (in my area, Deutsche Welle comes on the TV at 3 (sometimes 2) in the morning, and I much prefer to watch TV on a TV than with a computer). That said, when people speak slow German to me, it sounds really annoying, as I am more used to fullspeed.

From my personal experience, I find documentaries to be much easier to understand than news broadcasts, and also find movies to (for the most part) be easier to understand than the news. I am always surprised when forum users suggest how easy it is to watch news broadcasts, as the vocabulary can be much more complex, imo, than a TV special about the origins of Christmas or something.

Music is good, I usually listen to Rock music. At first, I sometimes struggle to understand, but eventually I get really good. At that point, if I still don't feel that I am grasping the whole concept of the song, I will look up the lyrics and either translate them, or find someone else's translation, and see if the missing words hold the key. More often than not, they don't, and the song is just not meant to make sense. With this technique, I not only improve my listening but also build some new vocabulary here and there as well, without much hassel.

edit: Another thing is to not "think about it" too hard when listening. When I first learned German, my first (well second if you count Latin) foreign language, I could understand, but as soon as I realized that I was understanding a foreign tongue, I would freak out and not understand anything, as if my brain was telling me that it was impossible to comprehend, since I was speaking and listening in a foreign language. By now these moments are few and far between, but at the beginning it was a large (mental) problem.

Edited by tracker465 on 05 July 2010 at 7:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dolly
United States
Joined 5572 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 15 of 53
05 July 2010 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:
I am always surprised when forum users suggest how easy it is to watch news broadcasts, as the vocabulary can be much more complex, imo, than a TV special about the origins of Christmas or something.
The rapid speech of news presenters and colloquial language of man-on-the-street interviews put news broadcasts on the advanced end of listening materials, in my opinion, unless there's a transcript.

Declan1991
Tetraglot
Ireland
Joined 6221 days ago

233 posts - 359 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Irish, French

Message 16 of 53
05 July 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Funny. I find thrillers and police dramas and that sort of thing easier to understand, because it's easier to pick up vocabulary from what you see as well as what you hear. New broadcasts require an awful lot of concentration for me because they often contain statistics, numbers and more complicated language that I have to think about.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version