Switzerland
Joined 6220 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 17 of 53
05 July 2010 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:
I am having problems with this in Russian, problems I can't remember having with English, French or Spanish.

Basically I can hear a sentence in which I KNOW all words, but because of the complex grammar and different word order the sentence still doesn't make sense.

Has anyone experience this, and is this too a matter of getting more exposure?
Maybe my brain isn't as fast anymore; I am over thirty.

Getting used to relatively free word order takes time. It threw me at first with Esperanto too, even in simple sentences - and in complicated ones, it takes longer.

1 person has voted this message useful

fsc
United States
Joined 6110 days ago

100 posts - 117 votes 
Studies: French

Message 18 of 53
06 July 2010 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
tracker465 wrote:

edit: Another thing is to not "think about it" too hard when listening. When I first learned German, my first (well second if you count Latin) foreign language, I could understand, but as soon as I realized that I was understanding a foreign tongue, I would freak out and not understand anything, as if my brain was telling me that it was impossible to comprehend, since I was speaking and listening in a foreign language. By now these moments are few and far between, but at the beginning it was a large (mental) problem.

Wow. The same thing happened, and happens, to me. I was embarrassed to admit it because I thought it was so weird for me to be doing all this studying to understand a foreign language and then when I started undertsnding it, I would do the same as you and freak out telling myself this was not possible. I couldn't figure out why I was doing it but thought it might be a defense mechanism to keep from building up my confidence too much because I might listen another time to more difficult conversations or speech and not understand it and be upset with myself.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Romanist
United Kingdom
Joined 5063 days ago

261 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Italian

Message 19 of 53
06 July 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
Neil_UK wrote:
Anyway, my trouble is, although I can speak ok in these languages, as soon as I hear a native speaking them I can't understand a thing! They just speak so fast, and it's so very difficult to understand what I'm hearing, especially with their accents. [...]

Should I try listening to T.V and radio in the languages I'm learning? I've tried that but I don't understand very much as it's all so fast.

IMO Listening to TV, radio, and audiobooks is exactly what you should be doing!

An unwillingness to do this because "I don't understand very much as it's all so fast" is somewhat bizarre; it's a bit like someone who wants to build his body saying: 'there's no point in going to the gym because I don't have huge muscles to build'. Well of course not - to begin with!

The more you listen, the more you'll understand. It's as simple as that.

7 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 20 of 53
06 July 2010 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Understanding fast spoken language

At the risk of repetition of previous posters' suggestions...

AUDIO+TRANSCRIPTS

It never worked for me to just continually listen to incomprehensible streams of noise - even though it was apparently tuning my ears to the sounds of <insert language of choice here>. Comprehensible** input is the key - start small and work your way up. While I've found movies + subtitles largely useless because the text never matches the dialogue but for German and Spanish, there are certainly free resources with accurate transcripts you can use, some of which are mentioned above and I suspect virtually all available have been mentioned on this site at one time or another.

If you don't mind coughing up some cash, take a look at Yabla. Subscription services available for both Spanish and German (as well as French). It has accurate transcripts and pitch-corrected slow speech plus you can loop phrases continually to concentrate on the sounds.

** Edit: I meant to add that it's the transcripts that make the incomprehensible comprehensible for me.

Edited by Andy E on 06 July 2010 at 2:26pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6884 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 21 of 53
06 July 2010 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
Does anyone know of equivalent services for French and Spanish?

Have you taken a look at The news in simple French from RFI?

Also, NHK Radio (Japan) offers news + transcripts in several languages including French and Spanish. They speak clearly and relatively slowly. Definitely worth a look - sometimes I used to skip over some parts of the bulletin as being too boring (unless Nikkei Dow figures are your thing - in which I case I apologise)

Audio for both RFI and NHK is downloadable.

Edit: Another free suggestion for Spanish is to download the Destinos series + subtitles. Video files as per French In Action (there's an example Destinos URL in the second post) here. Downloading subtitle files is described here

Edited by Andy E on 06 July 2010 at 4:37pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

S4Real
United States
Joined 6050 days ago

25 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 22 of 53
07 July 2010 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
What has really helped me is editing the speed/tempo of fast audio. That way I can really get it in my head slowly until I understand it at original or faster speed.

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6438 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 23 of 53
07 July 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Yuo guys know you can rip any subtitle if you have the .srt file? You can open it in a text editor, and just run some search and replace command to take away the markup (with grep, or similar). Its practical to get more oral language, if the subtitles are written in oral language.

geirtbr
Groupie
Norway
Joined 6438 days ago

83 posts - 90 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*
Studies: Russian

Message 24 of 53
07 July 2010 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
Another spoken German good is "Langsam gesprochne nachrichten" podcast.

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version