Speaks: Spanish

Message 49 of 53
31 July 2010 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
brian91 wrote:
frenkeld wrote:
For Spanish and German, one possible source of news items with
transcripts is this site:
http://www.euronews.net/.
Movies with subtitles in the target language can be helpful, even though the text won't always follow the spoken
version exactly.

Euronews is great for that. I can also recommend this service from Deutsche Welle: world.de/dw/0,,8030,00.html">http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,80 30,00.html. Does anyone know of
equivalent services for French and Spanish?

How do you view transcripts on Euronews? I think I'm missing something.
1 person has voted this message useful

jtdotto
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4989 days ago

73 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: English*, Korean
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, German

Message 50 of 53
06 August 2010 at 5:04am | IP Logged 
The way I improved my Korean listening ability to the point where I can handle natural speed conversation if I
know the context (out of context presents too many gray areas unless I listen for a while) was through a very
simple method. Take any listening media - tv show, news, podcast, textbook audio, etc., something with the
transcript preferably (if not, you'll need a native speaker to check your work later). Listen to it a few times cold.
Then start again, but this time write down everything you hear. Stop every four or five seconds and jot down the
sentence. Even if you don't know what you heard, write down what it sounds like. Later when you look at the
transcript, you'll see how you erred, and you'll be able to quickly diagnose your listening habits (ex. hearing one
word that is actually two strung together very quickly, noticing that something you know is pronounced
differently from how you thought or how it's spelled, etc). Do this everyday for 20 minutes or so, and be sure to
go back and listen to recordings you've transcribed over again and again. See the words your hearing in your
mind's eye. Know the context, and know the meaning. Slowly your brain will put two and two together and you'll
begin noticing that when listening unprepared to natural speech, even though you can't understand the grammar
or the vocabulary, you can imagine the words you're hearing and be able to repeat them as if you were a native.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6863 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 51 of 53
06 August 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
PL wrote:
How do you view transcripts on Euronews? I think I'm missing something.

Here's a sample link:

BP ultima el sellado definitivo del pozo en el Golfo de México

Video at the top, transcript follows. However, the transcripts were not always 100% accurate in the past - often with bits missing. I haven't used the site for years and that may have improved. At least I note that they've finally got rid of Real Media.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4986 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 52 of 53
06 August 2010 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
A small piece of advice that might help here and I've successfully tested with many students in a more general context: find a short video file with subtitles, and delay the subtitles by half or a full second. And of course go over it over and over again.

The movie should have lots of dialog to allow for pauses between phrases. Comedies recorded in front of a live audience are great for this.
Delays should be long enough for the learner to try and guess what was really said, then check it with the subtitles, but not so long that subtitles distract him from the next piece of speech.
The movie should be something funny or interesting for the learner, so it can be repeated over and over without getting too tiresome. It also helps if it is structured in short, more or less independent chunks. This way it is harder for the learner to 'get lost', and less material piles up as 'not understood', which also prevents the learner from accumulating too much stress.

Something along the lines of Monty Python sketches compilations (only in whatever the learner's L2 is, of course) is usually very good for this method.

Edited by mrwarper on 06 August 2010 at 9:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 53 of 53
23 August 2010 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Ericounet wrote:
Hi,

you could use the free software on linux: perroquet

It works with films and subtitles: It plays a sequence and you have to type the dialogue; you get some help from the software.

http://perroquet.b219.org/fr/special/language/select?languag e=en

try it: it will improve your hearing and comprehension very fast

hope this help :)

Eric!
------

I downloaded Perroquet and it seems great! However it suffers from the same oft-discussed problems about disparities between the subtitles and the actual dialogue. I've been going through Amélie with it and I find the subtitles are quite similar to the dialogue, and when they're different it's a nice challenge to try and figure them out by finding synonyms etc.. However I'm struggling to find any French subtitle files (SRT) for most French movies!

Does anyone happen to know of any good sources for this type of learning, where subtitles are available and accurate, and free legal availability is always a bonus!

Edited by garyb on 23 August 2010 at 4:19am

This discussion contains 53 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version