Diglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5089 days ago

104 posts - 126 votes 
Speaks: English*, Danish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Korean, Hindi

Message 1 of 1
29 June 2010 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
Got a new book in from Amazon - A Primer of Modern Standard Hindi. The resource looks like it will be excellent, including explaining some nice nuances I hadn't been aware of earlier. The only problem: the copy I received is... in somewhat sketchy condition*, so Amazon is sending out a new one, and once I receive it I'll send the other one back.

The book covers vocabulary, detailed grammar, pronunciation, includes IPA, illustrations of mouth/tongue movements (mostly for helping people who don't know how to make retroflex consonants), and has supplementary reading with vocabulary throughout the chapters. I definitely recommend this book for anyone who's interested in a solid textbook for learning Hindi, that starts with the abugida and discussions of how to actually form the sounds (compared to 'a as in father' style). I wish that there was an audio support for this, though!

It breaks things down and starts with nouns, taking a smaller "chapter" within the greater "part" to cover masculine nouns separately than feminine nouns, how postpositions combine, sentence structures, etc. It builds nicely and is definitely something I recommend if you want to learn the language from the "ground up" rather than start with "tourism" and immediately generating sentences in mind.

-
*mine came as a cloth-bound hardcover without the slipcover, but a cardboard 'cover' pasted on the front and back. ?!?

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version