Groupie
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

56 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 21
22 July 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Yandex.ru has a bar that you can download, and one of the tools is a "word translator." If you don't know a word, you can hover your mouse pointer over a word to translate to and from Russian, not only English but also French, German, and Spanish (French into Russian, not French into, for example, German, unfortunately). Obviously, you'll need to know basic grammar rules for this tool to be of any use. In my opinion, it's a lot easier than having to flip through a dictionary every time you need to look up a word. It also has a spellchecker for both English and Russian, which of course is awesome.

Edited by dagojr on 22 July 2010 at 11:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Light_1
UkraineRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

6 posts - 7 votes

Message 10 of 21
25 July 2010 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I like the textbook "Поехали" most of all.

dagojr
Groupie
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

56 posts - 131 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 21
26 July 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Light_1 wrote:
I like the textbook "Поехали" most of all.

Do you know where to get this book? I tried searching on amazon.com, but that site doesn't seem to like Cyrillic. ;)

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 4983 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 12 of 21
11 August 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/
3 persons have voted this message useful

kraft
Russian Federation
Joined 4983 days ago

34 posts - 45 votes
Speaks: Russian*

Message 13 of 21
11 August 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Ещё одна линка: http://www.russianlessons.net/
4 persons have voted this message useful

babelpoint
United Kingdom
babelpoint.org
Joined 5384 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: Russian

Message 14 of 21
09 September 2010 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
I am trying to combinate my programming and language skills. Some results can be seen at http://www.babelpoint.org/russian/

Feel free to share the link with everyone who is learning Russian or other languages.

Regards
vk
4 persons have voted this message useful

oneplus
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 4950 days ago

8 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Russian*, English

Message 15 of 21
09 September 2010 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
http://masterrussian.com/
Good website with good forum

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5062 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 16 of 21
18 September 2010 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Fanch35 wrote:
I have started Russian will the Assimil method, the edition written by Dronov and Matchabelli containing 70 lessons. The first 21 lessons are great, and definitely get you started with this beautiful language. The audio I could find on the Internet is very nice, nothing to say about it. However, I've been very dispappointed by the rest of the book, the grammar explanations are messy, the vocabulary to learn in one lesson is too demanding and the fun disappears...

This week, I have bought the new edition, written by Melnikova-Suchet, which I believe to be much better. First, there are 100 lessons, so shorter than some insane lessons from the previous book. It's more up-to-date, more cultural notes on Russia, it's really great! It totally relaunched my interest in learning Russian, the drawback is I haven't found the audio for this edition neither in the Internet nor in libraries.

I am finishing the edition by Dronov and Matchabelli containing 70 lessons (Assimil: Le nouveau Russe sans peine). This book is really terrible because, as Fanch3 as stated, the grammatical explaination are messy and imcompletes, the steep between lessons are to big, there's not enough repetition of the word to really memorize and assimilate them abd when you reach the active phase, it really take more than 30 minutes to underdstand and assimilate the dialogue. For me, a lesson a day was too much, i do about 3-4 lessons per week. If you use that edition, I recommand to use an other ressource conjointly with it. The only good thing about that book is the enermous amouth of vocabulary you will learn will doind it. I guest one can study actively this book for 6-9 months to really get everythings from it.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version