Switzerland
Joined 6249 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 12
03 July 2010 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
feanarosurion wrote:
I would be interested to try out technique number 7. I don't have too many resources as of yet, but I should be able to get good copies of some popular novels. I might combine this with one of the other techniques. Maybe reading while looking up every word for the first portion of the novel just to get the main vocabulary until I can read it extensively with the one chapter on one chapter off method.

Good luck. Some people can do that, but it would drive me up the wall - even then, it relies on having a sufficiently transparent language, whether via similarity with one you already can read or prior study of the grammar.

1 person has voted this message useful

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6753 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 10 of 12
03 July 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
... even then, it relies on having a sufficiently transparent language, whether via similarity with one you already can read or prior study of the grammar.

These problems can be solved or alleviated by a graded reader - it helps build up a feel for the structure of the language, some basic vocabulary, and a feel for the way things are said.

It makes reading your first novel a more viable exercise than it would usually be otherwise, whatever the method. Method (7) is certainly not meant to be used before reaching a certain stage.

Edited by frenkeld on 03 July 2010 at 1:37am

plaidchuck
Diglot
Groupie
United States
facebook.com/plaidchRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5115 days ago

71 posts - 93 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 11 of 12
03 July 2010 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Using novels seems to be the core of the L-R method if I remember correctly. For what it's worth I do what I call an "Assimil" type method: if I have the audio I listen and read the L2 text, making note of words I don't know, then I listen and read the L1, and then I listen and read the L2 to make sure I remember the previous unknown words.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 12 of 12
03 July 2010 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
feanarosurion wrote:
I would be interested to try out technique number 7. I don't have too many resources as of yet, but I should be able to get good copies of some popular novels. I might combine this with one of the other techniques. Maybe reading while looking up every word for the first portion of the novel just to get the main vocabulary until I can read it extensively with the one chapter on one chapter off method.

Good luck. Some people can do that, but it would drive me up the wall - even then, it relies on having a sufficiently transparent language, whether via similarity with one you already can read or prior study of the grammar.

Well, the only language I'm seriously studying is Finnish, which is by no means even close to similar to English. However, I have a fairly competent understanding of the grammar in my opinion. Not advanced by any means but fairly functional. It's just vocab I'm really needing to work on. I don't find it difficult looking up new words all the time, so that's not an issue. That's pretty much all I've been doing for the last couple of weeks. Then when I get to a point where it's only one or two words per page, I'll probably still look those words up, but I'll just jot them down to do later or something like that. Or I might read the chapter in English, then in Finnish extensively, then do another intensive sweep looking everything up. There are tons of ways to use novels as a study tool, which is what I love about them. I just don't have very many in Finnish yet unfortunately.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version