Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 16
17 July 2010 at 5:37am | IP Logged 
Khublei wrote:
Volte wrote:

Well, there are a couple of issues. One is that the word 'partake' sounds odd in everyday
speech; it's in too formal/archaic of a register. That said, if you do want to use it,
I'd say "I was thinking of partaking of".

Surely it should be 'I was thinking of partaking in', no?

No. Google does suggest that both forms are acceptable, and that in is somewhat more common, but I have a strong preference for using 'of' after partake, although 'in' can sound acceptable to me in some phrases.

The preferred form appears to be regional, and your question has made me aware that I was incorrect in correcting the use of 'in'; thank you.

Edited by Volte on 17 July 2010 at 5:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

PL
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6058 days ago

33 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: Spanish

Message 10 of 16
17 July 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Khublei wrote:
[QUOTE=Volte]
Surely it should be 'I was thinking of partaking in', no?

Yes, that sounds much better.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5875 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 16
17 July 2010 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Has anyone attempted acquiring a native accent through shadowing? I would like to get a British accent on my English, but I don't quite know where to start and I'm a bit worried about buying snake oil when looking through the accent "packs" online.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 16
17 July 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Not yet - I hear so many varieties of spoken English (live, media, audiobooks) and speak relatively little (although daily), so unless I make a serious decision which accent to emulate it's going to be a mish-mash if whatever I've heard and learned.

As long as you have good ears and use suitable material, I think it would be quite effective for acquiring another accent, but I have no idea of how many hours of "new" material you need.

cordelia0507
United Kingdom
Joined 5634 days ago

1473 posts - 2176 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*
Studies: German, Russian

Message 13 of 16
17 July 2010 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
I pass for a native regularly here in the UK, even though I am not.
It works partly because there are so many accents within the UK and of English..
But I never took any accent reduction course. I made an effort for a while though: chiefly I just imitated my (then) fiancee and speech on radio.. I am helped by having a mother tongue from the same part of the world as English...

It must be MUCH harder for Indians, speakers of Slavic languages and other very characteristic accents.

I think it's more important to increase your vocabulary and grammar.
You can probably never get rid of the accent fully, but you can probably tone it down to a level where it just sounds a bit chic and different instead of distracting.

I wouldn't waste money on it though. Just decide what accent you want and watch lots of films and listen to lots of audio books in that accent (US or British).

I'd recommend anyone from Europe to choose British accent; it sounds better for Europeans.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6471 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 14 of 16
17 July 2010 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
I have a typical Spanish accent, but I live in Spain and I don't mind. As long as English people understand me, I think I don't need to improve much more. On the other hand, I am exposed to many different English dialects and it's very difficult to choose one.

If I was living in an English speaking country, I would try to speak like a native and my first goal would be to master the basics. Regarding my accent, I would try to work as an impersonator. I would choose ONLY ONE person with this accent and I would work with his audios. This person could be a newsreader, actor or whoever.

I think we have three key points:

1-Choose a dialect.

2-Choose a person who speaks that dialect.

3-Listen audios or videos of that person and imagine you are an impersonator. Try to be that person.

I think the shadowing technique, as prof Argüelles explains it, is very useful.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 15 of 16
17 July 2010 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
cordelia0507 wrote:

You can probably never get rid of the accent fully, but you can probably tone it down to a level where it just sounds a bit chic and different instead of distracting.

Depends on what you mean by 'fully', I suppose. Getting rid of it to the extent that people don't register it as foreign is possible (easy version: people who speak a different regional variant of your target language; hard version: people who speak the same regional variant); at the extreme, it can be somewhat amusing to watch native speakers of language A spend several minutes accusing foreigners of lying about not being native speakers of language A.

Getting rid of it to the extent that a professional phonetician carefully watching for differences can't spot anything is another matter.

For a learner, dedicated material can be useful. I have a good ear but am absolutely horrible at mimicry, and a phonetic explanation of sounds has occasionally tipped the balance from 'totally wrong and unrecognizable' to merely 'very foreign' for sounds I'm trying to produce. I've seen others reproduce new sounds nearly perfectly on the first try, and even repeat phrases quite correctly in new languages on their first exposure - that's the other extreme. Just listening and trying isn't enough for everybody - it certainly isn't for me.

Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations for English pronunciation material.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version