Dixon
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5860 days ago

54 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 5
03 July 2010 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
I want to learn Punjabi but I don't think that there are many good resources out there
with audio. I want to read of course, but my main goal is spoken conversation so I want
to heavily focus on listening.

People better than I at learning languages might just say "Go converse with a native"
but I don't really learn well that way. I memorize much better by both seeing and
hearing a word. For example, in Korean right now I'm studying a book with 2000
sentences and an accompanying audio CD where the sentences are spoken by native
speakers. The book's focus is 2000 commonly used Korean words based on frequency. I
play the MP3 tracks all day so I become used to the intonation and accent. The
important part is that I read and break down the sentence in the book first--I don't
understand the audio tracks until I've done that. I would be lost if I just conversed
with someone without reading what they were going to say first. I also learn better and
faster when studying alone.

I have access to native speakers. I was thinking about voice recording them reading
sentences into Anki which should do the trick for me. But where should I start as far
as texts to get these sentences from? Ideally they would be in Punjabi and translated
into English. I'm not partial to any script but my grandmother uses the Gurumakhi
script so it would be satisfying to write a letter to her through it. I would hope that
the sentences are not just typical phrasebook stuff but based on frequency and real
use.

Any suggestions on materials for my predicament?

Additionally, do you think there would be full time intensive Punjabi language schools
in Punjab, India? If there are no good language schools there then I would be better
off just immersing myself in the Punjabi speaking community in Canada, when I get back
from Korea.
1 person has voted this message useful

doviende
Diglot
Canada
languagefixatio
Joined 5795 days ago

533 posts - 1245 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Hindi, Swedish, Portuguese

Message 2 of 5
03 July 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
I'm really interested in this topic, since Punjabi is on my list of "must-learn" languages due to its prevalence in my home town of Vancouver.

Previously I had found a site from an Indian university that had several short children's stories with mouse-over dictionary help and audio for the whole thing. Unfortunately I've lost the link, but I'll paste it here if I can dig it up again. (EDIT: Woo! you're in luck, I just found it again. "Online talking stories")

I'm not sure if any universities offer good courses, but in India most people seem to either learn Punjabi growing up, or by moving to a Punjabi-speaking area with knowledge of a related language like Hindi. I know that in Vancouver, Simon Fraser University offers some "self-instructional language programs" which are sort of like distance education, and UBC and Langara offer regular classes. Once I restart on Punjabi, I'll probably just contact them in order to buy their textbook material, but I'm not convinced that the classroom setting will be interesting to me.

I've thought of two routes to learn Punjabi. One is via Hindi and Urdu, which seem to have much more content. Maybe I'd try to listen to a few hundred hours of Hindi content, and then later switch to Punjabi with real speakers. I'm not sure whether this will be that effective though, since I don't know how much Hindi I'd have to learn in order to be a useful stepping stone to Punjabi.

The other method is the more likely possibility for me. The Vancouver Public Library has several novels translated into Punjabi (such as "The Godfather", for example). I'd get some of these books with their English counterpart, and start working through them word by word, while also using a "Teach Yourself" book for basic vocab. Then, I'd perhaps just pay some native speakers an hourly rate to read out sections of the novels and record it. In effect, make my own audiobooks. Yes, this sounds sort of expensive, but like you said, there's quite a lack of learning materials.

I like your suggestion of having someone read Anki sentences to you, but I think I'd personally prefer to use a novel. This might be more interesting to the person reading too, since it'd be a continuous story instead of just a jumble of sentences.

Another source of material is your local Gurdwara. They typically offer Punjabi classes to kids, and therefore have a bunch of basic readers that they use. If you inquire there, then you could probably buy some off of them.

Edited by doviende on 03 July 2010 at 7:08pm

socks
Triglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5074 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Telugu, Hindi*
Studies: French

Message 3 of 5
03 July 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
I think it's great that you're going to do this. Punjabi is supposed to be my mother
tongue, but my maternal grandparents never even taught it to my mother, in an effort to
be 'modernized' parents.

I speak and understand Hindi, but I'm often lost when I hear people in my family
talking rapidly in Punjabi. I can understand them if the conversation is short and not
too obscure, basically if I know what they're talking about to begin with. However, my
mom, who grew up hearing the language oftener than I did (I barely hear it spoken once
a year anymore) can understand everything that's said. She just can't speak it. So
learning Punjabi through Hindi could be one way of going about it, but it would just be
extending it one step further. You don't learn Hindi through Sanskrit, or English
through Latin, for example.

I'm almost certain that there aren't any university courses offering to teach Punjabi
anywhere in the country. Apart from the fact that they have a rural population with a
low literacy level, I don't think there would be much scope for the graduates career-
wise. I also wouldn't advise you to go to Punjab... I hope I don't have to articulate
the whys of that. [edit: I completely assumed I was talking to a female when I wrote
this sentence. Sorry. Your being male changes everything.]

Interacting heavily with the Punjabi community in Canada should be the best way to go
about it for now, I think. If you can find someone patient enough to work with you and
teach you the basics, it would go a longer way than making audio recordings of
sentences (I think). If you aren't familiar with the language at all, and if you can't
pick out words (or don't know where one ends and the other begins), the audio will
probably help you a lot when you're practicing. I agree with you about learning better
when you can see the word, but you will have to learn the script for this to work with
Punjabi. Are you already familiar with it? If not, it will take a lot of (completely
separate from listening comprehension) work.

I don't think that any one approach is going to work exclusively. Making an audio
course will be time-consuming and frustrating, but worthwhile if you're willing to deal
with the challenges. I would suggest video recording conversations in public settings,
such as weddings (they have a lot of those), where people are recording things anyway.
You might also get a group of people to put on a show if you suggest this to them. They
may invent their own 'drama' or do a play that they know. It's a good way to learn, and
the possibility of the exaggerated body language will help you understand things that
you may not through audio only.

Edited by socks on 03 July 2010 at 8:25pm

Dixon
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5860 days ago

54 posts - 74 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 4 of 5
09 July 2010 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
socks wrote:
Punjabi is supposed to be my mother tongue, but my maternal grandparents
never even taught it to my mother, in an effort to
be 'modernized' parents.

My grandparents spoke Punjabi too, and like in your family, my mother never learned the
language. I don't have the benefit of knowing Hindi though.

Quote:
I'm almost certain that there aren't any university courses offering to teach
Punjabi anywhere in the country. Apart from the fact that they have a rural population
with a low literacy level, I don't think there would be much scope for the graduates
career-wise. I also wouldn't advise you to go to Punjab... I hope I don't have to
articulate the whys of that. [edit: I completely assumed I was talking to a female when
I wrote this sentence. Sorry. Your being male changes everything.]

Is it dangerous to take a woman to Punjab? I was thinking of traveling India
(especially Punjab) with my Korean fiancee. My grandma went back to Punjab alone, and
some of my aunts just returned from there with my little cousins.

You are probably right that I would be more likely to find a structured Punjabi course
closer to home, or in the UK. Vancouver is a three hour boat ride away from me though
which is why I won't enroll in a class there. However, the recommendation of Simon
Fraser University's distance education course will lead me to investigate further.

I am leaving Canada in three weeks to live in Korea so I will have to seek out a Sikh
temple in Korea and maybe post a wanted ad for a lesson. Nobody will have experience
teaching the language so I need to create a way to make a course for myself with my
tutor. Any suggestions relating to that from anyone?

socks
Triglot
IndiaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5074 days ago

26 posts - 28 votes
Speaks: English, Telugu, Hindi*
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
10 July 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
It isn't - or shouldn't be - dangerous, but the few non-brown* women I know have had
some unpleasant experiences while travelling alone. Especially in places that don't
have a lot of tourist populations, local people seem to have a different idea about
what is or isn't acceptable behaviour. It can be disturbing when you have random people
touching your hair in the street.

Of course, not all foreigners experience that sort of thing (I hope). It's common for
people to stare, though. If you're looking to go to very crowded places like the Taj
Mahal, you should try to go early in the morning - tour guides, people selling
postcards and photographs, beggars and such tend to harass people a lot. The only time
I went there, I had such a bad time that at the end of it my view of the Taj Mahal was
that it's just a very fancy tomb. Depressingly and unnecessarily perfect, yes, but
still a tomb. And I kept remembering that Shah Jahan had the artisans' hands cut off
after it was finished. Not a good experience.

Where are you planning to go in Punjab? Chandigarh should be very nice, and not unsafe
at all. Do you have family there? It should be fun to go to some of the rural parts.

About making your own course: the advantage you'll have with this is being able to
learn the language in a manner that you know works well for you. Try making a draft
outline of the program, and discuss it with your tutor. If you're making an audio
course you'll have to decide how much emphasis you want on the listening comprehension
versus getting the pronunciation right... and how you're going to work on those in the
long run. Good luck!

*[White, but since all other races are 'non-white' to them, they're 'non-brown' to me
:p]

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version