Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5066 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 1 of 8
05 July 2010 at 10:33am | IP Logged 
I have little free time - several hours per week, but I still want to learn languages. It became more and more difficult for me to make progress. Can you give me any advices how to learn things effectively and remember what I've learned so far?
1 person has voted this message useful

staf250
Pentaglot
Belgium
emmerick.be
Joined 5507 days ago

352 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: French, Dutch*, Italian, English, German
Studies: Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 8
05 July 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
By a simple view progress is made "step by step".
Wich language are you learning? How do you actually study, i.e. method, book?

Edited by staf250 on 05 July 2010 at 11:11am

a3
Triglot
Bulgaria
Joined 5066 days ago

273 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: Bulgarian*, English, Russian
Studies: Portuguese, German, Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, Finnish

Message 3 of 8
05 July 2010 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning German. I find the grammar relatively simple, but learning new words is slow because of the limited time.
I learn the grammar from various sources - internet, books, etc., but I don't know where to learn words from. I used to visit a German forum and learn the unknown words from a random topic, but this is slow and unefficient.

novemberain
Triglot
Groupie
Russian Federation
Joined 5654 days ago

59 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC1, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese

Message 4 of 8
05 July 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
I'd recommend Smart.fm for building out your vocabulary. They calculate repetition
intervals for you and if you study just a handful of lists in parallel, this is likely to take you 10 to 15 minutes per day.
In fact, I have been clocking about an hour per day and my lists count is about 80 or so. Definitely the most efficient
way to learn new words *for me*. And there is a lot of word lists for German

For comprehension, Michel Thomas or Pimsleur (don't listen to Pimsleur bashing that happens every so often on this
forum, it just has a clear narrow purpose and serves it very well). Writing and speaking is about practicing as much
as you can and that's it.

My 2¢.

feanarosurion
Canada
Joined 5091 days ago

217 posts - 316 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish, Norwegian

Message 5 of 8
05 July 2010 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
novemberain wrote:
I'd recommend Smart.fm for building out your vocabulary. They calculate repetition
intervals for you and if you study just a handful of lists in parallel, this is likely to take you 10 to 15 minutes per day.
In fact, I have been clocking about an hour per day and my lists count is about 80 or so. Definitely the most efficient
way to learn new words *for me*. And there is a lot of word lists for German

For comprehension, Michel Thomas or Pimsleur (don't listen to Pimsleur bashing that happens every so often on this
forum, it just has a clear narrow purpose and serves it very well). Writing and speaking is about practicing as much
as you can and that's it.

My 2¢.

As far as I can tell, smart.fm is just an online tool. Therefore, you would need internet access for it to work for you. That being said, I'm sure the science is solid, but I have to recommend a downloadable client. Anki is your best bet for that. It takes a little time to get used to, but it gives you the most control of any program, and the repetition system is solid. Therefore, I'd give Anki a try before you commit to an online system, because missing studies simply because your internet company glitched out isn't very fun.

dolly
United States
Joined 5600 days ago

191 posts - 376 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 6 of 8
05 July 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Parallel texts through this website or dual-language print books. If your time is limited it's better to pick up vocabulary through reading something interesting, and there's the satisfaction of getting something done, one text at a time. Try to find texts with audio as well.

Edited by dolly on 05 July 2010 at 6:26pm

Akalabeth
Groupie
Canada
Joined 5329 days ago

83 posts - 112 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 7 of 8
05 July 2010 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
I'll second Anki. I've had a lot of success getting things to stick for a very long time
with it. At least in theory, the spacing algorithm is designed to allow you to keep
anything in your memory with the least amount of drilling possible.

daveyboy
Spain
Joined 5092 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 8
05 July 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
If your wanting the words and phrases to stick in your brain , then use a Flashcard
software /
program.

There are loads to choose from: Anki, supermemo, Mnemosyne, Transparent languages [ BYKI
]..etc.etc. I use the Transparent Flashcard program, I think there pretty good for
cementing the words and phrases in the brain, As long as you do it everyday they will stay
with
you..!

Edited by daveyboy on 05 July 2010 at 11:21pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version