Tags: Maori | Resources
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
Quabazaa
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5418 days ago

414 posts - 543 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German, French
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Maori, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic (Levantine), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Written)

Message 1 of 2
05 July 2010 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Kia Ora!!
As a New Zealander living overseas and wanting to continue my Māori studies, I have found it very frustrating!!! It feels like there are a lack of resources, especially covering grammar. But I just thought I would share the resources I have found, also if anyone else knows of any more let me know :) Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Must see!
TOKU REO!! This is a great show teaching the language, it was offline for ages and I was sad, I just realised it's back! YAY!
Kotahi Mano Kaika - Awesome website about reviving Maori in the home. Has very cool resources to help the self learner get started, such as printable signs to put in your kitchen, free phrase books with audio and much more:)
Spongebob in Maori
Maori TV online videos
Te Whaneke main site - Videos, dictionary, iphone app, podcasts

Dictionaries & Encyclopaedias
Scientific Dictionary
Ngata Dictionary
Williams Dictionary 1957
Te Ara Encyclopedia - in te reo
Maori language Wikipedia
Maori Language on Eng Wikipedia

Courses, Grammar, Phrases
Te Whaneke online course - 15 video modules
He Kupu o te Rā - Māori word of the day plus basic grammar resource
Word Frequency List Top 1000 - Choose alphabetical or frequency order
Te Whaneke main site - Videos, dictionary, iphone app, podcasts
Kotahi Mano Kaika - Awesome website about reviving Maori in the home. Has very cool resources to help the self learner get started, such as printable signs to put in your kitchen, free phrase books with audio and much more:)
Test your Maori
Korero Maori - Phrases, cultural information
Maorilanguage.net - Phrases with audio

Texts & Stories
Kā Puna Karikari a Rākaihautū - Talking books, rollover glossaries and comprehension quizzes.
Tērā Ia Ngā Tai - Talking books and rollover glossaries.
He Puia, He Iwi - 3 stories narrated in Maori/English and one with additional Hawaiian.
International Digital Children's Library: Maori - 8 books so far, I rec "Cry Baby Moon" it's beautiful :)
Myths and Legends - Bilingual text Māori/English
Māori Newspapers online
Waiata (songs) + sometimes audio or video
Te Wharekura - Series of miscellaneous and single-topic books for intermediate and advanced learners of te reo Māori.

Audio
Maori Radio - Listen Online to many stations (I love Atiawa Toa)
Whanau - Audio soap opera with transcript, follows the life of an urban Māori family. (no translation) Character profiles in English
Many MANY interviews in te reo Radio NZ website

Games & Interactive
Interactives - For kids. Topics include the wharenui, the marae, hangi, hui, Matariki, taiaha, legends and numeracy.
Crosswords
Te Ao Hurihuri - Talking book, winter and summer night sky charts, a lunar planting and fishing guide, song lyrics, and a music mixer.

Videos
Te Karere Maori news
Maori TV online videos Includes such greats as "Meke my Waka" (like pimp my ride but in Maori) and "Kia Ora Hola" (series about school trip to Chile) as well as "Te Kaea" (news) and much more. Maori language shows are subtitled in English.
Matariki Collection - Not all in Maori, but awesome on the culture side!
Maori waiata (songs)
Matariki @ Auck City Libraries - Matariki / Maori New Year narration
Hatupatu and Kurangaituku - Maori Legend Animation
NZ On Screen - Episodes & Excerpts aired on NZ TV. I particularly recommend Mataku!!! It's like a bilingual supernatural "Twilight Zone" type show.
Te Moemoea - "The Dream" Drama totally in te reo Maori
Te Urewera - Bilingual episode looking at the unique spiritual relationship between the Tuhoe people and the birds and bush in Te Urewera National Park

More links

Edited by Quabazaa on 05 July 2010 at 7:00pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5189 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 2 of 2
07 July 2010 at 5:29am | IP Logged 
What a great list, thanks for posting! I don't have any plans to study Maori, but I love just looking at and listening to languages that you don't hear everyday.

AND, I think you've given me my most unusual clip to watch - I never imagined I would watch Spongebob in Maori! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version